Match 14
19th October 1991
Bury (h)

Kelly and Chapman blitz Bury

Report by Mark Halliwell

Exeter City 5
Kelly 2 (1 pen), Chapman 2 Moran
Bury 2 
Robinson 2 (2 pens)

BUNGLING Bury committed defensive suicide as Exeter continued their charge up the Third Division. Fresh from last week's demolition of Darlington, they battered Bury with some opportunist finishing and stylish football. A trio of defensive howlers ended the game as a contest by half-time and left Bury rueing the chances they had missed in an incident-packed but untidy game. The catalogue of disaster began in the unlucky 13th minute when Welsh international defender Alan Knill's weak defensive header landed at the feet of Paul Wimbleton. He slipped the ball to Gary Chapman who put Vince Hilaire away on the right and Knill, trying to atone for his earlier error, tripped Hilaire and gave away an obvious penalty. Up stepped skipper Tom Kelly to beat namesake Gary with ease. For a while after that it seemed that Bury would make a fight of it, with striker lan Stevens forcing a point-blank save out of Kevin Miller with a header from three yards out. Then Mark Kearney split the defence seconds after being booked to set Nigel Smith clear of a static defence, but he saw his shot go inches wide of the upright with Miller beaten. But Bury ruined their good work with another piece of madness after 29 minutes. Under no pressure, Roger Stanislaus tried a crazy back pass which arrived at a surprised Chapman's feet and he calmly did the rest. Frustration set in for Bury as skipper Valentine was booked for clattering into Chapman and confidence began to flow through the City side. Last week's four-goal hero Steve Moran should have added a third after a lovely long ball from Hilaire sent him clear, but as Kelly came rushing out he placed his lob wide of the post. Another Kearney through ball put Stevens away but once again he couldn't convert the chance as Miller came out to save with his legs. Four minutes of injury time were added for various stoppages, and this was enough time for Bury to shoot themselves in the foot once more. It wasn't Valentine's day. He had earlier been concussed and in injury time, as he got to his feet in a tangle he saw the ball roll to Chapman who calmly effected a carbon copy of his earlier goal. Bury were in a shambles at the back and Manager Mike Walsh decided drastic action was needed. Off came skipper Valentine and on went gangling striker David Jones as Walsh reverted to a 4-3-3 formation. It almost had an immediate effect, lively Liam Robinson shooting just over, before another dose of defensive disaster, this time from City,

gave them another chance. Andy Cook tried a back-pass, only suc- ceeded in finding Jones, but as he took far too long Scott Daniels was in to clear. But City were not to be denied. A beautiful piece of trickery by Steve Williams released Tom Kelly down the left wing, and with the packed penalty box awaiting a cross, Kelly thumped the ball into the net. This prompted more reorganisation from Bury as Knill was replaced by Phil Parkinson, and Bury at last got some dividend for their efforts a minute later. Former Everton midfielder lan Wilson was felled by a rash challenge by Wimbleton and referee Cooper pointed to the spot, the hard-working Robinson sending Miller the wrong way. Chapman was still eager for his hat-trick as he ran through unchallenged past four defenders seven minutes from time. But before he could get a shot in, the ball had spun free for Moran to get in on the scoring act. However, the last word was left with the eccentric Mr Cooper as he awarded his third penalty of the afternoon. A linesman spotted a handling offence by Tom Kelly and Robinson took the opportunity. But City were incensed, Manager Alan Ball leaping from the, dug-out and throwing his cap to the floor in disgust, and skipper Kelly earning a yellow card.


Paul F



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>