Match 24
7th December 1991
FA Cup 2nd Round
Swansea (h)


Exeter City 0, Swansea City 0

GOAL-SHY Exeter's Cup dreams all but evaporated at chilly St James Park as failings up front were again glaringly evident. Discounting the penalties that saw Exeter through a sudden-death shoot-out against non-League Colch- ester in Round One this was the Devonians' fourth consecutive scoreless Park draw. Only twice did they look capable of breaking the stalemate, but out-of-touch strikers Gary Chapman and Steve Moran both missed golden opportunities. With Exeter's goal drought now extended to 801 minutes and showing no signs of an end, the Swans must start as firm favourites to win the replay at Vetch Fleld on Tuesday week. Exeter gave new-boy Andy Harris a Cup debut in mid- field and welcomed back Steve Williams following a one-match suspension, and Moran, out for two weeks with a hamstring strain. Williams' return gave them a more compact and creative look, but the assistant manager's ceaseless promptings ultimately bore no fruit. Chapman, in the sixth minute, was left with only keeper Roger Freestone to beat when a Paul Wimbleton volley was deflected into his path, but lifted a close-range shot high over the bar. Swansea's first period threat came ten minutes from half time when Scott Hiley was forced to blast a teasing Jimmy Gilligan centre over his own crossbar and teenager Jason Bowen skimmed the bar with a drive from the corner. Then, three consecutive Swans' flag kicks put Exeter under pressure but their best effort was a Keith Walker header that Miller tipped over. Exeter started the second half with renewed urgency and should have scored after 54 minutes. A Williams free kick was nodded back across goal by Chapman and Wimbleton's headed flick looked goal- bound until Moran intervened, diving to divert the ball on to the bar. From the rebound, Chapman's header was knocked off the line by Walker. Transfer-listed Gary Marshall came off the bench and looked to have broken the deadlock with six minutes re- maining when he neatly slot- ted home after accepting a Williams free kick. The score was ruled out by a linesman's flag.

Miller, Hiley, Daniels, Whiston, Cook, Hilaire (sub 73 minutes Marshall), Williams, Wimbleton (sub 79 mins Brown), Harris, Moran, Chapman.

Freestone, Agboola, Walker, Harris, Ford, Bowen, Chapple, Coughlin, Legg, Gilligan, Williams. Subs (not used): Jenkins, Raynor.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>