Match 13
3rd October 1992
Bournemouth (h)

Richard's dream debut thwarted in last minute. 

Exeter City 1
Bournemouth 1

Match Report by Simon Mills. 

ALL the excitement of a dream debut for loan signing Richard Evans faded with the Autumn sunlight as Exeter were shocked by Shearer's equaliser. Peter last-gasp Ironically enough, Shearer's 89th minute strike came seconds after Ronnie Jepson had a powerful right-foot shot from fully 20 yards rebound from the inside of Bournemouth's right-hand post. The ball was swung 60 yards upfield to Keith Rowland and midfielder Shearer was every bit as effective as his namesake Alan, slipping away from his marker Andy Cook and heading firmly past Kevin Miller. In all truth, Bournemouth deserved a share of the points as they had dominated most of the game. Shearer and Brian McGorry gave Andy Harris and a disappointing Steve Williams a bruising afternoon and, when Exeter pressed forward down the right, John Hodge and Peter Whiston got little change out of Bournemouth's impressive left-back Denny Mundee. So it was against the run of play that newcomer Evans put City in front. The Bristol Rovers loan striker had already made one searing break down the right after 19 minutes, swapping passes with his attacking partner Jepson before keeper Bartram advanced to smother the ball. Ten minutes later, he grabbed a piece of glory. Hodge finally battled past Mundee, swung in an early cross and Evans slid Jepson's flick-on past Bartram and diving defender Mark Morris from six yards. There was little else to brighten a dull first-half. Only Jepson really threatened, testing Bartram from 20 yards after turning past two defend- ers in the 31st minute. Most of the excitement came from Bournemouth with Rowland and Richard Cooke mak- ing telling thrusts down the flanks and Shearer shooting straight at Miller from long range after 30 minutes. Manager Alan Ball's stern half-time chat put some real vigour into City and they came out for the second-half looking much more impressive. Immediately there was action as Scott Hiley after 47 minutes and Peter Whiston after 53, fired shots which Bartram struggled to hold. Evans had the chance to make it two a minute later as Hiley and Jepson combined on the right and Hiley's cross was inches away from his diving header. The introduction of Tom Kelly proved to be a turning point for City. Kelly always gives maximum value for money and he created openings for Evans and Jepson as well as hitting a fierce drive just past the right-hand post with Bartram beaten in the 85th minute.

Exeter City Miller. Hiley. Cook.Williams. Brown. Whiston. Evans. Harris. Jepson. Loram. Hodge Subs: Kelly (for Loram, 55), Cooper (for Williams, 67).

Bournemouth: Bartram, Pen- nock, Mundee, Morris (Morrell 48), Watson, Shearer, O'Driscoll, McGorry, Fletcher, Cooke (Mean 74), Rowland.

Referee: Keith Cooper (Pontypridd)

Attendance: 3,653

Cooper (Exeter), Fletcher & Shearer (Bournemouth).



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>