Match 51
6 April 1993
Hull City (h)

Exeter City 1 Hull City 1.

Tuesday 6 April 1993.

REFEREE: Keith Cooper (Swindon)

Attendance 2415

Hunter header saves a point.

Match comment by PETE WHITFIELD

PAUL HUNTER halted Hull City's losing run with a point-saving equaliser against fellow strugglers Exeter City at St James' Park last night. The Tigers looked to be heading for the heartache of a fourth successive defeat when Hunter popped up 15 min- utes from time to head home Dean Windass' in-swinging corner.
The goal galvanised City and completely shattered Exeter's brittle confidence. The Tigers couldn't go on to turn one point into three but Hunter had thrown City a vital lifeline with his sixth goal of the season. City were facing an uphill battle once the robust and impressive Ronnie Jepson latched onto Jason Minett's through ball in the 33rd minute and coolly steered his shot wide of Alan Fettis. City's recalled keeper had just palmed away a misdirected headed back pass from David Mail but it was the Tigers who had created the better chances before that. Linton Brown's fierce tries brought a fine save by Kevin Miller and when Brown rolled the ball into Greg Abbott's path it needed a timely block from Scott Daniels to keep the midfielder's shot out. Jepson's goal brought Exeter to life but they failed to press home their advantage. New signing Stuart Storer made good use of his electric pace to force his way past Mail but his drag back from the byline eluded everyone. Another chance went bogging when the dangerous Jepson glided a header towards John Hodge. Graeme Atkin son failed to clear but Hodge snatched at his shot and sliced wide. After the break, Fetts capped a confident retum with a smar save to keep out Minett's well-struck shot andJepson couldn't get to a fiercely driven shot from Storer. The Tigers must have wondered if an equaliser was going to elude them when the hard-working David Jones squandered a great opening on the hour. David Norton curled in a teasing cross and as Exeter's deferce rushed out, Jones received the ball completely unmerked near the penalty spot. He chested the ball down and got in a shot but took loo long doing it, allowing Exeter keeper Kevin Miller to block his effort. Just when it seemed as though that miss would be Cry's last clear-cut chance, Windass curled over a wicked in- swinging comer and Hunter powered a header home via the underside of the bar. With goals so hard to come by, every one is worth its weight in gold and the Tigers need to keep digging them out if they are to escape the drop again Hunter's goal sent City's small, but noisy band of travel- ling fans wild with delight and did wonders for the Tigers, who played out the remainder of the game with increasing confidence. City looked a little shaky at times during the first hat and only occasionally did they show any fluency moving forwards but they did set about their task with reassuring determination. City certainly look more comfortable operating a sweeper system that enables fullbacks Norton and Atkinson to get forward and support Jones. Hunter and Brown. And their hard-earned point should put them in good heart for Saturday's vital home clash with a Hartlepool de finding goals equally hard to come by.

Manager's comment

I thought we deserved our point and maybe we were a bit unfortunate not to come away with three points. The lads certainly answered a few questions tonight.They were a lot more determined and a lot sharper than they had been at Wigan on Saturday and you have to give them creditfor that. We said beforehand that if we went a goal down at any stage we would have to keep plugging away and thats what we did. If the delivery is right, we can cause problems at set pieces. Dean Windass' comer was hit with pace and Paul Hunter made his header count. Although he didn't have a lot to do, Alan Fettis made a confident return. It was his first game of any kind in three weeks and it will have done him good. Steve Wilson has got nothing at all to worry about but Alan has got his place back and it's up to him to keep it. I'm very pleased to get off the 43 points mark because we seem to have been stuck there for ages. We have got seven games left now and we've got to keep picking up points. The fans who spent a lot of money to come down and see us were rewarded with a lct of effort from the players. They really got behind us and we desparately need that kind of support back at Boothferry Park.


1. ALLAN FETTIS (7) Little to do. Good save from Minett
2. DAVID NORTON (8) Determined defence. Good support going forward
3. GRAEME ATKINSON (6) Battled hard and held his own
4. DAVID MAIL (6) Not at best. Couple of lapses
5. RUSS WILCOX (7) Competed well
6. GREG ABBOTT (6) Very soliddisplay
7. LINTON BROWN (6) Lively firsthalf
8. LEE WARREN (6) Few shaky moments
9. PAUL HUNTER (6)Took goal very well 10. DEANWINDASS (7) Dangerous at set pieces
11. DAVID JONES (6) Most effective display for club but bad miss
12. DARREN FRANCE (not used)
14. ROB MILLER (not used)


1. Kevin Miller 2. Chris White 3. Andy Cook 4. Andy Harris 5. Scott Daniels 6. Jon Brown 7. Jason Minett 8. Jim McIntyre 9. Ronnie Jepson 10. Stuart Storer 11. John Hodge 12. Eamonn Dolan (not used) 14. Toby Redwood (not used)

Match notes

Corners: Exeter 4, Tigers4
33 min., Jepson (Exeter):
75 min. Hunter

(City) Bookings: 85 min. Jepson (Exeter)





Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>