Match 56
24 April 1993.
Mansfield Town (a)

Mansfield Town 0 Exeter City 0.

Saturday 24 April 1993.


Attendance 2527

Evening Post, Monday, April 26, 1993 

Time is running out for Foster


GEORGE FOSTER'S four-year reign as Mansfield Town's manager seems certain to come to an end if the club is relegated. Discussing the future of the debt-ridden club before Saturday's 0-0 draw with Exeter City at Field Mill, Stags director Alan Bostock speaking on behalf of the board said: "If we are relegated I would imagine George Foster will feel his position is untenable. "As things stand we are still in the division we started the season in but if we do go down I imagine we will have to ask questions at the board meeting whether it be with the new own- ers or the present owners."

Mr Bustock also revealed that a potential buyer was showing interest in the up-for-sale club. And he assured fans that if a buyer cannot be found then present owners Abacus Municipal would continue to run the club. "My company Gunthorpe Textiles want to carry on as main sponsors and if John Pratt and Abacus continue to run the club we will be looking to help more financially," he added. Mansfield's goalless draw on Saturday virtually sealed their fate and they must now over- turn high-riding Port Vale in the Potteries tomorrow night to cling on to their mathematical chance of survival. In a cagey first quarter Exeter made their first forward move when Chris Withe recovered to deny the on-running Chris White. Seconds later former Mansfield apprentice Stuart Storer wriggled free of his marker to centre from the right and Ronnie Jepson's resulting header was inches over the bar. However the best chance of the first half fell to Mansfield in the 25th minute when Gary Ford unlocked the Exeter defence. His low cross created a three against two situation in Mansfield's favour but Steve Wilkinson somehow stumbled over the ball as it appeared to take a bad bounce with the goal at his mercy. City warned the Stags of their capabilities on the half-hour when Storer was again given too much space on the right. He cut into the box and unleashed a power- ful shot only to be denied by Jason Pearcey's quick reactions. City threatened to push the Stags a step closer to Division Three when Storer's hopeful chip from the right touchline hit a post rebounding into the grateful Pearcey's arms. Then with five minutes remaining Exeter were reduced to ten men. Dave Cooper impeded Ford in a chase into the box and referee Mr Jeff Winter had no hesitation in brandishing the red card. Deep into injury time Scott Daniels thwarted Wilkinson with his legs to deny the Stags the goal they so desperately craved. Manager Foster recalled himself to the heart of the Stags' defence for the first time in two months and left out young midfielder Gary Castledine to accommodate the sweeper system in a bid to change Mansfield's flagging fortunes.


Paul F



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>