Match 33
16 January 1999.
Scarborough (a)

Scarborough 1 Exeter 0.

Report by David Jeffels. 

Saturday 16 January 1999.

CITY'S hopes of snatching their fourth successive win to nudge into the top half of the Third Division were dashed by Alex Marinkov's 65th minute penalty. Ironically, the penalty was surrendered by ex-Scarborough player Chris Curran who handed his old team a desperately needed win in their battle to survive in the Football League. Curran brought down Marinkov in front of goal and referee Graham Frankland had no hesitation in awarding a penalty which the Scarborough man drove hard into the right hand corner of the net in the giving City keeper Ashley Bayes no chance. City had the edge on the play throughout the first half and could eas- ily have been ahead by the break but failed to capitalise on their superiority. Steve Flack's drive from the edge of the box just scraped over the bar in the third minute. Four minutes later the in-form City striker had a fine header well held by the Yorkshire side's young keeper Luke Weaver who produced his best form since joining the Seasiders. He dived full length to save at the feet of the fast ad- vancing Curran in a game in which, high, long balls became the norm as both sides struggled in the heavy going conditions. City were again unlucky not to open their account when Chris Holloway hit the post after some good work by Jimmy Gardner and Brian Quailey. A minute later Scarborough's Wayne Bullimore and Derek Mountfield went close as they sought to fire enthusiasm into the home attack. But the Grecians continued to have the edge on the play and put Weaver under increasing pressure. They had two lucky escapes just before the break when a drive by Steve Brodie went just over the bar. Then Chris Greenacre charged through the centre drawing keeper Ashley Bayes out of his area to clear desperately. Weaver pulled off two more diving saves before the interval from Quailey and Jon Gittens as City battled to strengthen their grip. 

Hard words in the dressing room by Scarborough manager Mick Wadsworth saw the Seasiders show more style and confidence in the second half. However, City still managed to keep the ball in the home half and create chances the best being from Chris Fry and Gardner. They suffered a set- back when Chris Holloway had to be stretchered off after be ing fouled by Chris Tate and ended up in hospital. Scarborough gradually came more into the game and Bayes finger- tipped a great chance by Tate over the bar two minutes before the crucial penalty. City threw everything up front in a late rally and Scarborough did well to hold onto their narrow lead and only their seventh win over the season.

Exeter City 
Bayes Fry Power Holloway Richardson Gittens Quailey Rees Flack Curran Gardner.
Substitutes: Clark (for Holloway, 58 mins) Breslan (for Fry, 68)

Weaver, Russell, Atkinson, Mountfield (Lydiate, 70), Hoyland, Marinkov, Tate (Mc- Naughton, 88), Kay, Brodie Greenacre, Bullimore. Sub not used: Milbourne.

Scarborough Marinkov pen, 65 minutes.

Scarborough - Hoyland Tate.

Referee: G Frankland (Middlesbrough)

Attendance: 2,002.


Paul F



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>