Match 35
23 January 1999.
Peterborough U (h)

Exeter 2 Peterborough 0.

Report by Ross REID

Saturday 23 January 1999.

EXETER City's big target man Steve Flack notched another two goals as Peter Fox's side swept aside one of the Division's big spenders. Top scorer Flack enhanced his burgeoning reputation by scoring twice in the space of 10 second half minutes. He opened the scoring on 58 minutes after benefiting from Chris Fry's persistence. Fry's first attempt at a cross looped back to him off Posh defender Adam Drury and his second effort landed perfectly on Flack's head. Peterborough keeper Mark Tyler was left stranded as Fry's cross sailed over him to the unguarded Flack just a few yards out. Ten minutes later he notched his 14th goal of the season, his 10th in the League, after chasing a through ball and getting enough foot on it to beat Tyler, who might have thought central defender David Rennie was going to help him out. But Rennie was left chasing the ball as it dribbled over the line to roars from the City faithful, making up most of yesterday's lowly 2933 crowd. Flack has now scored six in six games for City and equalled last season's goal tally already, matching his pre-season promise. City who edged a dour first half - could have been three up in the 78th minute when Rennie's miscued header fell to on-loan West Brom striker, Brian Quailey on the edeg of the box. Quailey's first touch was good but Tyler made an impressive save to keep out the scorching shot. The Posh also had their chances in a game of limited opportunities but City did not buckle. Keeper Ashley Bayes got enough glove on the ball to deflect Steve Butler's stinging first half drive but also needed the assistance of his in-form defenders to keep a clean sheet. Recalled skipper Jon Richardson made a great lunging stop to deny player-coach Butler just before half-time after Bayes had palmed Martin Carruthers' cross out over the  penalty spot. On-rushing Butler let fly but Richardson, just recovered from a nasty ankle injury, made a brave block. Richardson repeated the feat seven minutes after the restart to deny Car- ruthers from close range as Posh tried to break the deadlock. Visiting skipper Steve Castle, the former Plymouth Argyle midfielder, could not get enough power behind his near post effort, Carruthers had a bash and, when the ball flew back off Richardson, Simon Davies unleashed a 20-yarder that whipped just over Bayes' bar. After that Peterborough failed to get a look in and Flack's double strike rocked them on their heels. Other notable moments saw City have a first half effort by Billy Clark come back off the Posh post as he looped Fry's corner kick goal- wards with Jon Gittens doing his best to bundle the ball in before it was eventually cleared. And there were muted appeals for a penalty when Rennie brought down Richardson in the 38th minute. They were all but forgotten as City put on a much improved second half showing.

Exeter City 
Bayes Fry Power Clark Richardson Gittens Quailey Rees Flack Holloway. Gardner.
Substitutes: Waugh (for Quailey 87), Gale (for Holloway 90), Not used: Breslan

Tyler, Hooper, Drury, Davies, Rennie, Edwards, Scott, Castle, Carruthers (Hann 59), Butler (Grazioli 59), Etherington (Broughton 59).

Exeter -Flack 58 & 68 minutes

Exeter - Holloway 32, Richardson 71; Peterborough - Castle 10, Butler 47

Referee: David Crick (Worcester Park)

Attendance: 2,993



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>