Season Summary


Exeter City are offering terms of re-engagement to 17 players, they are

Goalkeepers Kelly, Singleton.

Fullbacks, Walton, Doyle, Rowe.

Halfbacks Harvey, Wood, Goddard, Davey, Marsh, Booth. Forwards Digby, Knight, Dailey, Murphy, Mackay, McClelland.

Open to transfer Anderson, Armes, Black, Fallon, Mitchell, Rose,

Free transfers Clark, Howells.

Tuesday 5th May 1953.


Steve Walker the former Exeter City Halfback relinquishes the player Managers job at Minehead with one regret. He had hoped to complete 20 years as a professional. but is leaving the game after 19 years to take over a Public house in Warminster.

Another former City favourite Ray Wright is living 6 miles away at Frome, where he combines the jobs of running a pub and managing the local Western League club. Friday 8th May 1955.


Exeter City and their two trainers Jimmy Gallagher and Stan Cutting are parting company. By mutual consent the contract between City and Gallagher will terminate on May 23rd, and in those circumstances the club have decided to begin next season with an entirely new training staff. Gallagher has received offers from several other League clubs including Stoke City, but he is likely to rejoin his former boss George Roughton at Southampton. Both Gallagher and Cutting nave had a long spell at Exeter, both joined City as players in the season that war broke out, Gallagher as a Centre Half from Notts County and Cutting as a Wing Halfback from Southampton. Gallagher was appointed head trainer in 1945, Cutting becoming his assistant soon after. Both are fully qualified F.A.CE Saturday 16th Coaches. soon after. Both are fully qualified F.A.CE Saturday 16th Coaches. Saturday 16th May 1953.


Mr S.H.Thomas speaking at the annual dinner of the Grecians Association Executive Commitee said the decline of the club last season was difficult to pinpoint but it probably started through the inability of Mr Norman Kirkman to continue to play following his illness. The team missed his commanding presence on the field. Looking ahead Mr Thomas said the board of Directors had the utmost confidence in the new Manager Mr Norman Dodgin and were convinced that under his control the club would enjoy a successful time. Mr Les Seward, another Director said that Exeter City F.C. would be in a precarious position but for the endeavours of the Grecian Association.

Friday 22nd May 1953.


Midway through the football season of 1907, Exeter were an average Plymouth and District League team. They had lost by 6-0 at Torpoint. Looe came to St James Park and won by 3-1. The customers were restive said the press critic of the day and it was not only the players that were wanted but also live commitee men. The far sighted advocated the recruitment of a professional Player/Coach. The Management said finances would not stand the strain. They had begun, public opinion won the day and the Secretary Sidney Thomas and Treasurer Fey were sent to Plymouth to interview Jack Banks the old W.B.A. Leyton Orient and Plymouth Argyle Halfback. Terms were agreed and Banks became Exeter Citys first professional, making his debut in the green and white jersey, the clubs coulours in those days coincided with an amazing happening.

In a game with Millbrook Rangers two balls burst. One ball burst during the kicking in the practice before the game. A 2nd met with a similar fate just after the interval when Millbrook Rangers were leading 1-0. No 3rd ball was available the Referee Adams, a Sergeant Major from Topsham Barracks waited 10 minutes and then called it a day. Millbrook players left the field in disgust, the City followed them. For the record the Plymouth and District League authorities ordered the match to be replayed and stipulated that Millbrook should tak half of the 2nd gate with a guarantee of a minimum of £4. Southern League football seemed a remote possibility at that time but stout hearted enthusiasts like Mr Norman Kendall, Mr Sid Thomas, Captain F.J.Harvey (now Major), Mr Billy Fenwick and Mr Fey began to campaign for better things, they wanted to put Exeter City on the soccer map. Hundreds of miles were travelled, powerful aids were recruited to the City cause. Private meetings were held. The National press began to take note of Exeters claims. Scores of sportsmen were ready to take up shares.

The big decision was taken at a meeting held in Mr Kendalls house. The public were told that if £1,000 was subscribed, it would be enough to justify application for admission to the Southern League. A sum of £200 was assessed as being sufficient to go ahead with an application for entry into the 2nd Division of the Southern League. Chairman Billy Fenwick put the financial case. His estimated budget makes fascinating reading in these days of inflated money values for it showed that receipts totalling £3,210. 10s would produce a credit balance of £132 on a years working. The Fenwick estimate of 1907 put match receipts at £2,610 for the first team. Players wages were set down at 15 at £2.5s a week. An average home attendance of 4,500 was regarded as nigh enough to keep City above the breadline in the Southern League.

Meanwhile the Rugby diehards in Exeter said such an average would never be maintained. Undetered by strong local opposition. Norman Kendall and his pioneers pressed on. A Ltd Liability Company was formed. A 21 year lease was taken on St James Park. Great enthusiasm was shown at a meeting of supporters held at the old Royal public rooms (afterwards the Hippodrome). The goal was reached in 1903, Exeter City headed the poll of applicants for admission into the first Division of the Southern League.

Thursday 28th May 1953.


An appeal to the traders and business people of Exeter to give greater support to Exeter City F.C. was made last night by the City Director Mr Les Seward speaking at the dinner of the Grecians Association Exmouth Branch. He went on to point out that there was a hard core of 5,000 supporters who came from Exeter.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>