Hunter, George

Birth Date

29th August 1930


Troon, Ayrshire



Biographical Text

Having earlier won a Scottish Cup winners’ medal with Celtic, goalkeeper George Hunter played for Exeter City between 1955 and 1959. He joined the club from Derby County and later played for Yiewsley, Darlington and Lincoln City. Regarded highly by those who saw him, his time at St James’ Park was hampered by injury. 

George began his playing career with Glasgow Celtic and gained a Scottish Cup winners medal at the age of 19 as he was part of the Celtic team that won the 1951 Scottish Cup Final against Motherwell. He moved to Derby County in June 1954 where he played 19 league games in a single-season stay.

Considered a significant signing, George arrived at St James’ Park in August 1955 and went straight into the first-team to make his debut in the opening fixture against Colchester United. Without his place ever being threatened, he only missed three league games all season and soon attracted the attention of bigger clubs including  Wolverhampton Wanderers who made an initial offer of £5,000 in August 1956. With City asking for £10,000, a deal wasn’t forthcoming and the increasingly unsettled ‘keeper - who made another 40 league appearances during 1956/57 - eventually went on the transfer list in September 1957. Bristol Rovers expressed an interest in signing George two months later but he was to remain with the Grecians throughout 1957/58 making 28 league appearances before playing in the first 36 league games of the following season up until breaking a leg against Port Vale on 28 March 1959

Not playing for the first-team again, George was released in May 1960 and, in the face of interest from Bristol Rovers once again, spent a season with Southern League Yiewsley prior to returning to the Football League with Darlington in June 1961 where he made 20 league appearances in a single-season stay. 

George subsequently appeared for Burton Albion, Lincoln City (one league appearance) and Matlock before working in a factory in Derby. He died in Nottingham on 5 October 1990.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>