Match 08 ECFC v Southend United 24.09.1921Southend Reserves v City ReservesReserves v Bristol City 28.09.1921

ECFC 4-1 Southend United
Scorers: Williams, Vowles 2, Crompton (pen)

Attendance: 4500

The visitors favoured by a convenient rail service, journeyed through to Exeter this morning, leaving Southend at nine o'clock. It was apparent as the time of the kick-off approached that the failure of the Grecians in recent matches had greatly affected the attendance. When the teams appeared at ten past three there were fewer than 2500 present. The number increased to 4500. 

Southend won the toss, but the afternoon was calm and dull, so this preliminary success carried no advantage.

Exeter City, Watson, MacKechnie. Pollard. Rigby. Mitton. Graham. Newman. Williams. Vowles. Crompton. Dockray.

Referee. Mr. F. P. Farrow, of Bristol.

Southend. Capper. Lawson. J. H. Evans. Wileman. Lawrence. Martin. Harris. Allen. Nuttall. Howard. Elliott.

Owing to the fact that Capper was a long way out of his goal when the kick-off was given, the match had to be started twice. Southend were the first to press, but after Elliott had sent behind Exeter retaliated, and from a fine pass by Mitton a real opportunity was presented by Vowles, but Evans intervened successfully.
Crompton won applause for skilful footwork, and twice the ball was swung smartly from the left wing. The first time it was put in by Dockray and fell on top of the goal net, and the second time, Crompton's centre, Williams got his head to the ball but it spun away in the wrong direction. Nuttall tried persistently to get his line moving, but Mitton was very watchful. Wileman drove strongly over the bar from a free kick against Graham on the edge of the City penalty area.
Southend appealed for a penalty when Nuttall was bowled over by Pollard, but the referee ruled that the shoulder charge was fair. Harris enlivened the proceedings by driving the ball hard against the outer side of the Exeter goal angle.
Williams was knocked out in a collision with Evans, and required the attention of the trainer. Play had been in progress for 35 minutes when a bad mistake by Evans gave Williams a clear field, and the ex-Southampton forward took the ball forward to give the City the lead with a neat ground shot. Further efforts were made by Vowles and Dockray, but on each occasion Capper saved.

Second Half

5 minutes after the change of ends, following a very pretty movement on the City left wing Crompton was dribbling goal-wards through the Southend penalty area when he was tripped up, and the referee signalled a penalty award. It was the fifth to the Grecians on St James's Park for the season, and all had been missed. The crowd, in some trepidation, speculated on the outcome this time, but they were not left long in doubt. Crompton took the kick himself and scored with a sharp drive to the left of the goalkeeper.

Graham was cautioned for his behaviour towards Nuttall, who it must be said was showing more vigour than science. Southend then exerted pressure in the Exeter territory, and Pollard back-passed to Watson for the goalkeeper to clear. Nuttall dashed after the ball and was tripped up by MacKechnie and fell heavily. An angry exchange of words followed between the players concerned and for the second time in the game the ball was placed on the penalty spot. Evans took the kick and scored with a good shot.

A General Caution.

Just after the scoring of Southend's penalty Mitton fell foul of an opponent, and the referee, in view of the ill-feeling which was being imported into the play, called the two captains, then the remainder of the players, into the centre circle, and issued them a stern lecture. Play was very disjointed for a time after this, and Newman was brought down heavily by Evans right on the touch line. The free kick was sent over the bar by Vowles. In the next minute Newman was again seen to advantage when he beat Evans and centred beautifully to Vowles, who headed the ball into the net for Exeter's third goal.

With twelve minutes' play remaining Newman, who was revelling in his work on the wing, middled the ball to Vowles again, and the City centre-forward scored another goal. Yet another centre from Newman came across, and Vowles's header missed by a fraction. The Southend goal was frequently in danger in subsequent play, Capper making fine saves from Williams and Crompton.

Exeter gave a wonderfully improved all-round display. There was not a weak spot fore and aft, but by far the outstanding player on the field was Newman. Though lacking in inches he time and again had the Southend defence in a tangle, and both of Vowles's goals were the outcome of the brilliance of the City's outside right.


The weather was fine when the reserves of Southend and Exeter City met at The Kursaal in a Southern League match before 3,000 spectators. Stewart won the toss, and Southend kicked off against the slope and the mild breeze.


Jefferies; Jones and Dellow; Batchelor, Halstead, and White; Baldwin, Reid, Ruddock, Smith, and Flowers.


Fryer; Stewart and Lodge;
Wilson, Channon, and Siddall; Edge, Force, Staddon, W.Hill, and Congdon.

Exeter's front line was lacking in cohesion, and several good openings were wasted. For twenty minutes Jefferies was not once called into action. On the other hand Lodge and Stewart covered Fryer well and met the determined Southend attacks creditably.

After the interval Southend came down the centre of the field in fine style, and Ruddock opened the scoring. During the closing stages rain fell heavily, the ball and ground becoming slippery. The Southend attacks did not cease, and a second goal, headed through by Baldwin, followed a clever pass from Flowers. Exeter's staunch defenders had a harassing time, and seldom did the City pass the half-way line to any effect.

Southend 2-0 Exeter. 


Four Goals Shared in Keen Southern League Match

Played at St James's Park, on Wednesday evening, September 28. The Southern League match between the reserve teams of Exeter City and Bristol City attracted a crowd of about 2,000.

J.Green and Brown appeared in the Exeter team after a spell on the injured list. The evening was fine, and Exeter, losing the tos had to face strong slanting sunshine in the first half. The ground was still very hard.

Pollard Stewart
Siddall Brown Graham
Edge Vowles J.Green W.Hill Congdon

Jones Hall
Sherne, Southway, Pullan
Compton, Hunt, Smith, Mooney, Keen.

The visitors would have snatched a surprise goal in the openin, minute but for the smartness of Fryer in meeting a hard ground sh from Keen. Exeter might have secured the lead, two minutes later, had Edge judged his centre better, but he kicked too hard, and th chance was lost. The Bristolians were a heavy, bustling team who were very eager and energetic in the early stages, but the Exeter backs and halves shaped well, and Bristol could not make headway. Goddard cleared an overhead shot from Green, and then from his own half of the field Smith cleverly made ground and drew the defence out of position. The move ended with a pass to Mooney, whose shot was punched over the bar by Fryer.

Bristol Successful.

Bristol returned to the attack a moment later, and this time they were successful. Keen, who was supplied with a lovely pass by Pullan, rounded the Exeter defence and went on to score with a neat shot.
Exeter improved, and Goddard saved from Green, and following this Hill sent wide with a header. Vowles experienced hard luck, his rousing shot being charged down by the concerted efforts of Bell and Southway.
Next, Congdon whipped the ball across for Congdon to drive it into the net, but the score was disallowed, Green being offside in the goal-mouth.
Goddard, who was an excellent goalkeeper, managed to keep his charge intact in the face of repeated assaults, but four minutes before the interval Exeter drew level through a penalty. A fine centre from Edge was met by Hill's shooting boot, and a Bristol defender handled. Hill scored from the spot-kick.

The Exeter forwards lodged another strong claim for a penalty, also for hands, but the referee turned it down, and the interval arrived with the score: Exeter Reserves 1 Bristol Reserves 1.

Second Half.

Exeter attacked hotly on the restart, and several corners fell to them in quick succession, while Goddard was glad to turn one hefty shot from Congdon over the crossbar. The expected goal came after seven minutes, when a centre from Congdon was driven into the net by Vowles with a great shot. Goddard saved a fine "daisy-cutter" from Siddall, and at the other end Southway gave Fryer a ticklish handful. Bristol now showed plenty of dash and initiative in a spirited endeavour to get on terms, and they were rewarded eventually when Smith shot through a forest of legs into the net. This followed a corner kick which should have been prevented by Stewart. Both sides experienced narrow escapes in the last five minutes, Green shooting over the bar for Exeter and Keen striking the foot of the upright for Bristol.

The result was a draw, 
Exeter 2-2 Bristol City 


Paul Farley and Alex Wilson's original work.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>