Match 10
16th October 1920
Gillingham (a)

Western League
Bath City (h)

Gillingham v ECFC (L 2-1)
Scorer: Wright (City) Battiste (2, 1pen) for Gillingham.
Attendance: 5,000
Referee: Mr F.P. Farrow.

Exeter City's promising return to form last week at St James's Park raised the spirits of their supporters considerably, and it was hoped that their performance and the score would be repeated this afternoon in the return match.
Coleburne rejoined the team in place of Betteridge, and in the Hoppers' eleven Roe took over from Gilboy at centre. Dull weather prevailed when the teams entered the field, and the attendance numbered about 5000. Pym won the toss, but very little advantage was obtained thereby.

Gillingham: Branfield, Sissons, Robertson, Wigmore, Thompson, Needham, Battiste, Hall, Roe, Wood, Wright.

Exeter: Pym, Coleburne, Feebery, Lakin Carrick, Mitton, Appleton, Makin, Wright, Vowles, Dockray.

The Grecians were the first to become dangerous. Mitton, with a nice pass, placed Dockray in possession and the winger centered beautifully, but Branfield ran out and gathered the ball in fine style. Gillingham then made an effort on the left, but Coleburne cleared. A retaliatory move by Exeter enabled Dockray to get well away, but Robertson, when beaten by the ex-Carlisle man, brought him down badly. Feebery took the free kick, but drove the ball high over the bar. The home goal had a narrow escape when Dockray directed the ball into the goalmouth. Wright allowed it to pass through his legs to Vowles whose shot was powerful but inaccurate. At this juncture, Gillingham endeavoured to get into the game a little more. Needham initiated a left wing move which progressed to within the penalty area. In attempting to clear Lakin handled the ball, although not intentionally, and conceded a penalty, it was taken by Battiste, who made no mistake.
Exeter nearly suffered another reverse when Battiste got away and evaded  Mitton, Coleburne and Feebery in turn. Pym acted with urgency and dashed out, thereby narrowing the shooting area. The Gillingham winger shot hard, and the ball struck the far post, rebounding to Pym, who caught it and kicked clear. After 30 minutes Appleton centered for Wright, who levelled the scores with a first time shot. Another excellent shot by Wright struck the post, and half time the score remained 1-1.
15 minutes after the change over the Gillingham Wright, centered with terrific force, and Battiste, running in at full speed, met the ball first time and sent it spinning into the net well wide of Pym. This proved to be the winning goal.
Full time 2-1 to Gillingham.

City Reserves v Bath City.

Bath City, today's Western League visitors to St James's Park, are a strong combination, and a keen struggle was anticipated. The heavy rain of the morning had softened the ground, but the weather cleared, and the afternoon was dull, but fortunately dry.

Reserves: Charles, Betteridge, Pollard, Crawshaw, Green, Taylor, McIntyre, Hetherington, Harding, Hesmondhalgh, Kelland, 

Bath City: Adams, Williams, Critchley, Nuth, Lockhead, Nargett, Thomas, Dallimore, Hayes, Smith, Lambert.

Harding, of Torpoint, was given a trial at centre forward, and he obliged by heading a centre from Kelland into the net, within four minutes of commencement. 12 minutes later Dallimore equalised, and shortly before half time Smith put the visitors in front when he headed Dallimore's centre past Charles.
Exeter only had themselves to blame for not winning, for they squandered two penalty kicks in the second half. Taylor, who took the first one, drove straight at Adams, then Pollard, on the next occasion, steered the ball wide of goal. Hesmondhalgh headed Exeter's second goal, the match being drawn 2-2.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>