Match 11
ECFC v Swansea Town

Torquay United v Reserves

Saturday, October 15, at St James's Park, Exeter.
Scorers: Crompton
Attendance: 5000
Last season: City 1 Swansea 2.
Swansea Town made an important change in their team to visit the City today, Beynon, the former Welsh Rugby International half back, taking the place of Edmondson, who was injured, at centre forward. The weather was brilliant, and the ground ever. as hard as
Five thousand spectators watched the captains, Crompton and Brown, toss for choice of ends, and Crompton was given a cheer for winning. The Swans therefore kicked off against a dazzling sun.
MacKechnie Pollard Rigby Mitton Graham Newman Vowles J.Green Crompton Dockray
Referee: Mr J.W.Lucas, of London.
Spottiswoode Brown Beynon Jones Hole McCallum Collins Williams Milne Robson
Play opened at a terrific pace, and after a couple of brief raids by the Grecians the ball was returned, and Beynon sent Hol away with a clear field. Watson gathered the leather, and Beynon rushing in, promptly bowled the 'keeper over. But Watson, who di not release his hold on the ball, fell outside the goal-line and threw away.
Swansea again made ground in a similar movement, but Pollard cleared. The "Swans" were soon at it again, and MacKechnie had to move quickly to stop Beynon, while just afterwards Brown flashed the ball less than a yard wide with a fast shot. The game evened out somewhat when Dockray took a hand in the proceedings, and a centre from the Carlisle man was headed over the bar by Green. Fine work by Crompton caused Milne to clear in a hurry, Green being in a good position for a scoring attempt. Watson distinguished himself in the City goal, twice saving from Beynon, and MacKechnie kicked clear from Brown. Williams, who was playing well up to his forwards, was a great help to Swansea in this role, and it seemed as though they must score, but the City defence, with Watson giving a masterly performance in goal, stood firm. At half-time neither side had scored.

Second Half.

Milne was injured but resumed after treatment. A corner won by Swansea, from which Spottiswoode fired high over the crossbar, was followed by one for Exeter. Dockray centred high into the goal mouth, Crumley rushed out and missed his punch, and the ball fell behind him to Crompton, who headed it into the empty net. It must have been the easiest goal Crompton has ever scored, for he simply stood and let the ball bounce off his head into the goal.

Four minutes later Beynon equalised from Brown's pass, and, to be fair to Swansea, justice was done, for they had done by far the most of the attacking throughout the game.

MacKechnie played his best game of the season at right back for the City, and was as good a player as any on the field.


A friendly was played at Plainmoor between the City Reserves and the new Torquay United club. Torquay played their full English Cup team with the exception that Ebdon was introduced at right half in place of Steer, who was injured in the replay with Spencer Moulton on Wednesday. Exeter were well represented.

Torquay United: - Gartrell; Bovey, Davis; Ebdon, Pratt, and Hilton;

Burch, Frayn, Stuckey, Townsend, and Lincoln.

City Reserves:- Fryer; Lodge, Stewart; Siddall, Brown, and Wilson; Edge, P.Hill, Smythe, Kelland, and Congdon.

Beautiful weather prevailed when the City kicked off before an attendance of 2,000. Torquay were early on the aggressive, Frayn shooting wide when he only had Fryer to beat. Then at the other end Kelland headed against the crossbar and Gartrell gathered the re bound. Half-time: no score.

Five minutes after the restart Hill won the game for the City when he beat Gartrell with a shot into the roof of the net.


Paul Farley and Alex Wilson's original work.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>