Match 16
19th November 1921
Gillingham (h)

Southern League
Gillingham Reserves (a)

26th November 1921
Gillingham (a) Postponed

Southern League
Gillingham Reserves (h)


Saturday, November 19,
at St James's Park.
Attendance 3000

Last season: City 2 Gillingham 1.

Supporters of the Grecians had looked forward confidently to another home victory this afternoon, when Gillingham provided the opposition.

Keen disappointment was felt, however, when it was learned that McCulloch, who had again been selected to lead the forward line, was unavailable this week-end for reasons said to be of a private nature. McCulloch left for Scotland yesterday, but will return to Exeter early next week. In the absence of the new Scot, the centre forward position was taken by Vowles, and Newman re appeared at outside right in place of Edge.

The Gillingham team included three men who were signed earlier in the season, namely Marshall and Freeman, both from Chelsea, and McAlpine, from Millwall.

Graham Pollard
Rigby Mitton A.V.Green
Newman Crompton Vowles P. Hill Dockray

Referee:- Mr W.E.Russell, of Swindon.

Sissons Marshall
Needham Waugh McAlpine
Wright Freeman Wood McMillan Battiste

The afternoon was cold and dull, and a trifle misty, while the ground was softer than at any time since early in the year, due to the heavy rain of the past few days. There were 3,000 spectators when the teams came out, at 2.50 o'clock.
The match started eight minutes before the advertised time and with the crowd still streaming into the ground. Crompton lost the toss, and the Grecians occupied the near end of the field in the first period.

Gillingham endeavoured to get going but were thrown offside, and the next they got away Graham kicked hurriedly back to Watson, but yards wide of him, so that he was unable to stop the ball going behind. The resultant corner saw Needham shoot wide of the upright.

A clever movement on the City right wing took play to the other end, but Newman's centre, made at top speed, went behind. After eight minutes Battiste was laid out in a heavy collision with Pollard, and had to be carried to the dressing room. Dockray created an opening with a magnificent run through the centre, but Vowles failed to meet the ball squarely, and Sissons cleared. Another centre from Newman gave trouble to the "Hoppers," and Hill headed it on across the goalmouth to Vowles, who skied the ball over the bar from five yards' range. Battiste returned to the field after an absence of ten minutes.

Second Half.

Gillingham, who had travelled through from Kent this morning, looked a tired team right from the start, and the City during the first half had had enough chances to have made the issue safe. The second half was ten minutes old when McMillan and Wood won their way clear in midfield, and the centre-forward went on alone to beat Watson from short range. In the concluding five minutes Dockray and Vowles changed over, for a last desperate effort, and the crowd cheered delightedly as the Grecians pressed, with the left-winger-cum-centre-forward in the forefront. Two minutes from the end, with the crowd leaving in scores, Vowles took the ball on the touch-line, and, forcing his way through the Gillingham defence, scored with a shot that all but shattered the net. It was indeed a magnificent goal, and the best seen at St James's Park this season.


Fine weather favoured the Southern League match at Gillingham, between the "Hoppers's" Reserves and Exeter City Reserves, but the attendance was only moderate. The opening exchanges saw Gillingham pressing, and Fryer made excellent saves from Travers and Waterall. Newham missed an easy chance, shooting wide. Little was seen of Exeter's forwards until the eighth minute, when Thomson failed to clear a fast shot from Congdon, and Green, following up, netted. Two minutes later Bullock converted a fine centre by Congdon, but Gillingham played up strongly, and Travers reduced the lead. Play became more even as the game progressed, and MacKechnie, for Exeter, and Reay, for Gillingham, were conspicuous for good defensive work.

Gillingham attacked strongly towards the interval, and the ball was twice cleared from the goal-line by MacKechnie, with Fryer out of position.

Half-time score: Gillingham Res 1 City Res 2.

Second Half.

On resuming, play was of a fast description, Congdon and Edge sending in good centres, but Thomson cleared his lines.

MacKechnie tackled Waterall in the act of shooting, and the Exeter goal survived. Gillingham bombarded the City's goal, but Fryer was covered by his backs that he had few difficult shots to negotiate. Congdon broke away but shot high over the bar. With five minutes of the match remaining the referee ordered a free-kick in Gillingham's favour, from which Thompson equalised.

Final: Gillingham Reserves 2 Exeter City Reserves 2. Teams:

Shaw and Reay;
Simons, Robertson, and Thompson
Newham, Travers, Cassell, Martin, and Waterall.

MacKechnie and Gaskell;
Brown, Hookway, and Wilson;
Edge, Williams, Bullock, Green (J) and Congdon.

Torquay United FA Cup 

Torquay United, who have caused quite a stir in this season's English Cup competition, were at last forced to admit defeat this afternoon, when Boscombe won the big match at Plainmoor by a goal to nil. The attendance was 3,000, the largest for a match under Association rules at Torquay.

Saturday, November 26.
Gillingham v City


All through Friday night and also this morning the Medway town of Gillingham was veiled in a dense fog. At 2 p. m. the sun broke through, and there was a possibility of the weather clearing. However, the fog did not lift until after the time arranged for the kick-off, and then it was decided that it would not be wise to start the play because darkness would have set in before the game could have been finished.

The Exeter City team arrived in good time, and the players of both sides were ready for an early start. But as it was almost three o'clock before the fog eventually lifted the gates were not opened. No date has yet been decided for the match.


After their 2-2 draw at Gillingham last week, Exeter Reserves, who entertained the junior "Hoppers" at St. James's Park to-day, were confident of going one better. They were represented by the strongest eleven available. The Reserves have fared very well this season considering that it is their first experience of Southern League football. There have been some very interesting League encounters.

Stewart and Gaskell;
Brown, Hookway, and Wilson;
Edge, P.Hill, Bullock, J.Green, and Kelland.

Robertson and Keay;
Sims, Wakefield, and Thompson;
Hall, Travers, Cassell, Martin, and Waterall.

Unfortunately Exeter's hopes of a victory were not fulfilled, for they could not score against Gillingham.

Result: 0-0.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>