Match 24
ECFC v Newport County

Southern League
Guildford v Exeter
Exeter v Friernhay

City v Newport




Attendance 4000

Last season: City O Newport 1.

The weather was bright and crisp, and all in favour of a fast game, even though the ground was on the soft side. There were only a very few spectators when the teams came out at 2.25 o'clock precisely, although people were still arriving. Crompton won the toss in competition with Cooper, who wore a green goalkeeper's jersey, and Newport kicked off from the far end.

Gaskell Stewart
Wilson Mitton Crompton
Newman Hill Bullock Williams Dockray

Referee: Mr R.C.Wilding, of Southampton.

Gaughan Lythgoe Devlin Dobson Edwards (W) Groves Edwards (E) Price Flanders Griffin

The game opened briskly, and after Gaskell had twice cleared, the City made headway on the right, where Newman beat Flanders in the matter of pace. The ball was returned to midfield, Williams feeding Dockray with a wide pass. Dockray, however, after taking the ball to within twelve yards of goal, shot wildly over. Griffin, Flanders came to the rescue, sending up a long pass to W.Edwards, who won a corner. This was nicely placed and equally well cleared, Devlin having failed in an attempt to hook the ball into the net. The Grecians retaliated smartly, with Newman leading the advance. A free-kick was awarded them twenty-five yards out, and from Stewart's neat pass the ball went to Crompton, who tried to feed Bullock, with Cooper dashing out to intervene. Hill nipped in between the three players and coolly nodded the leather into the empty goal, to a big cheer from the crowd. Hardly had it died down before W.Edwards, from the corner of the City penalty area, equalised with a curling shot that went in the net off the inside of the far post. At this juncture the game was only six minutes old.

The Enterprise of Bullock

End to end play kept both lines of attack and both defences on the alert. Cooper cleared in style from Dockray, with Bullock in the offing, making a good attempt to head the ball home. Newport were next seen at the other end through the medium of Gaughan and Devlin, but the final shot was cleanly gathered by Fryer. The enterprise of Bullock was exemplified in the next minute, when Newman 9 after a sparkling run, whipped the ball across. The City centre forward raced past Flanders, "trapped" the ball with one foot and banged it into the net with the other one, the shot travelling past Cooper with great force for Exeter's second goal. Just fifteen minutes had elapsed since the start of the game.

After thirty-five minutes Exeter came within an ace of getting a third goal, but Dockray's shot went just wide, and five minutes before the interval Bullock and Williams nearly succeeded, but in their anxiety the ball was bustled over the line but on the wrong side of the post.

Interval score:


Second Half.

Newport were aggressive on their right wing when play restarted, but Stewart rescued Exeter with a timely clearance. Exeter swept through in convincing style with Dockray and Bullock, Flanders intercepting Dockray's pass in the nick of time.

Wilson dropped the ball nicely into the County penalty area, and Hill shot hard at point-blank range. The ball struck Cooper on his shoulder and Griffin hastily kicked it behind for a corner. Wilson just failed to prod home a ground centre by Newman, and Exeter were playing as well in this match as in any this season.

The County broke away in midfield, and Devlin gave Lythgoe a clear opening, but the eventual shot was weak, and goal. Newport showed that they were not done with, however, and wide of five minutes from the end a corner, taken by Gaughan was converted by Groves with a long, low shot well out of Fryer's reach.

Notes on the Game.

Newport encountered Exeter City at their best. The Grecians had not shown such lively form in any previous match. Newport played good football, but the City were so well served by Wilson, Mitton, and Crompton that after the first twenty minutes the visitors were only dangerous in short and infrequent raids.

The City attacks were delivered with a speed and vim which was quite refreshing, new, and very welcome to a slightly jaded home crowd. Hill and Williams both gave vastly improved displays, while Bullock led the attack in a style strongly reminiscent of the great Billy Goodwin. His goal was a very cool effort.

Exeter City have at last taken a point from Newport, although on the play they should have made sure of two.


Exeter City Reserves paid their first visit to Surrey today, the occasion being a Southern League contest against Guildford. There was large attendance, several thousand being present. The City Reserves won the toss, and commenced with a fairly high wind in their favour. Edge won his way clear of the backs, and centred to Congdon, who missed the goal.

Play continued on even lines, and Searby missed for Guildford. A stiff shot by W.Hill was saved by the home custodian, and followed by a goal to Exeter, scored by Alf Green. The pass was provided by Edge. The City were having the better of the exchanges, but could not turn their superiority into goals.

Watson saved from Thompson, who equalised from the rebound.
At half-time the score was:
Guildford 1 City Reserves 1.

Watson saved from Boak and Thompson on the resumption of play, but after twelve minutes had elapsed Alf Green scored two quick goals for the Reserves. MacKechnie and Pollard defended stoutly in subsequent play, the City winning a good game by 3 goals to 1.

City v Friernhay


Saturday, January 7.


Having bid farewell to the English Cup for the present season, the City encountered Friernhay, one of the leading local amateur clubs, at St James's Park, this afternoon. There was only a small attendance when the teams lined up, as follows:

MacKechnie Gaskell
Rigby Mitton Crompton
Newman P.Hill Bullock Williams Dockray

Fenwick Jennings
Pym Glanville Lyne
Hurford Reed Troke Camble W. Hill

Friernhay made ground at the outset, but were halted by Mitton, who set his forwards going with a well judged pass to Bullock. The movement ended with Crompton shooting wildly behind when perfectly placed. Friernhay changed the venue, and forced a corner, which was easily disposed of, and at the other end Crompton tried a volley, which Stokes did well to save.

Exeter opened the score through Williams, who headed a centre from Newman past Stokes. The Grecians added to their lead through Bullock, and, as before, the opening was created by Newman. Stokes made two brilliant saves from Bullock and Williams, but a miskick by Fenwick left Bullock with an open goal, and the City leader made no mistake. Bullock and Williams added further goals before half-time, when the score was City 5 Friernhay nil. Dockray and Mitton added further goals in the second half, to make the final result seven to nil.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>