Match 28
ECFC v Southampton


Saturday, February 11.

St James's Park, Exeter.


Last season: City 1 Southampton 0.

The weather was glorious, sunny and crisp, with a very light breeze. There were 5,000 people present when the teams entered the field at ten past three. Exeter were first out, led by Crompton, and the crowd was glad to note that they wore the familiar red and white, the visitors having changed into white shirts and blue knickers.

Fryer Gaskell Stewart
Rigby Mitton Crompton Newman P.Hill Bullock Williams Dockray

Referee:- Mr E.E.Small, of Bristol.

Brown Dominy Rawlings Johnson Andrews Turner Campbell Shelley
Titmuss Hooper Allen

Dominy won the toss, and elected to defend the St James's Road end.

Although Southampton succeeded in sharing the points with the City, all the honours of the match went to the Grecians. No goals were scored by either side, and Exeter are to be congratulated on putting up such a stubborn defence against one of the finest sets of forwards in the League.

Both teams fielded practically their strongest elevens, but the game had not been in progress long before Crompton had to retire for about ten minutes with a damaged ankle. No sooner had Crompton returned than Exeter lost the services of Fryer, who was badly knocked out in diving on the ball to stop Dominy scoring. Stewart donned the goalkeeper's jersey, and the City team was re-arranged, with Crompton at left back and Hill at left half.

Dockray won a corner, which was cleared, and good play on the Southampton left took the scene of operations to the far end, but the shooting was very wild, and the ball twice found rest in the railway cutting. Just on the interval Stewart fielded a difficult shot from Campbell.

There was a big cheer when it was seen that Fryer had turned out for the second half. Further misfortune befell the City, however, Crompton having to leave the field for a second time, his foot being injured. With only ten men at their disposal Exeter's display was quite remarkable against a team like the "Saints," and in fact they were unlucky in not taking the lead when Allen, right on the goal line, fumbled a shot from Williams but recovered just in time.


There was a record crowd for a Reserves match at The Dell, where Exeter City Reserves provided the opposition in a return Southern League match. The afternoon was fine, with bright sunshine.

Southampton Reserves:-
Swinnerton; Hough, Keeping; Dawson,
Brown, Bradburn; Blyth, Cooper, Meston, Horton, and Boyes.

City Reserves:-
Watson; MacKechnie, Wilson; Brown, Hookway, Siddall; Edge, Vowles, Pollard, Camble, and Congdon.

There was little to choose between the teams at the Dell, but in the closing minutes of the first half Cooper headed a beautiful goal from a centre by Blyth, giving the Saints the lead.

MacKechnie, in attempting to divert a free-kick awarded for hand ball, scored against his own side, but a few minutes later the lead was diminished by Camble, who beat Swinnerton from Edge's centre. A third goal for the Saints was netted by Boyes, following a melee on the goal-line.

Southampton Reserves 3 City Reserves 1.


Tommy Townsend, the popular inside left of Torquay United, was transferred to Exeter City this afternoon at the end of the match between Torquay and Looe.

Townsend is a player of great promise whom Torquay were loath to part with, but Exeter City claimed his transfer under an arrangement that was entered into earlier in the season.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>