Match 44
Aberdare Athletic v ECFC

City Reserves v Luton Reserves

Aberdare Athletic 0-2 ECFC
Scorers: Bullock, Vowles
Attendance: 5000


Saturday, May 6.

Played at Ynys Park, Aberdare.


Exeter City's final match of the 1921-22 season was played at the Aberdare ground today, in summerlike weather before a crowd of about five thousand. Sheldon beat Crompton in the toss, and the City faced a strong sun in the opening half.

Price Hindmarsh
F.Martin Read Sheldon
Tompkinson Rogers J.C.Martin James Danskin

Referee: Mr F.Todman.

Dockray Vowles Bullock Kirk Newman Crompton Mitton Rigby
MacKechnie Pollard

From the kick off Aberdare pressed, and the first shot of the match was delivered by James, but the ball went wide. An excellent pass from Kirk put Dockray through, but Sheldon cleared.

MacKechnie saved a dangerous situation, heading away Danskin's centre with the Aberdare forwards rushing in, and just afterwards Rogers scraped the crossbar with a fierce rising ball.

Duckworth had to dash out and kick clear from Kirk following a clever move between Bullock and Dockray, and Exeter began to enjoy a greater share of the game Vowles, however, shot tamely at the goalkeeper when he had a great chance of opening the score.

Second Half 

Play was resumed on brisk lines, and Bullock tested Duckworth with a terrific drive from fifteen yards, and in another fast raid Dockray gave the home goalie a hot one to deal with. The City were now exerting great pressure, and a splendid goal was obtained by Bullock after clever work by Kirk and Newman.

This success encouraged the Grecians, and Vowles, accepting a nice pass from Newman, beat Duckworth with a glorious shot. The Darians were being outclassed at this stage, and their only serious attack was cleared by Pollard, whose defence was a feature of Exeter's game.

Notes on the Game.

The Grecians wound up the season in very handsome fashion, and turned the tables completely on Aberdare. Their superiority was in fact greater than the result of the match indicates.

In the second half the Darians faded right out of the picture except as a defensive force, and the spectators were amazed at the splendid showing of a club so badly placed in the League as Exeter.


Exeter City Reserves and Luton Reserves wound up the season at St James's Park in blazing sunshine this afternoon, two Southern League points being at stake.

City Reserves:-
Squires, Gaskell;
Figg, Hookway, Brown;
W.Hill, P.Hill, Townsend, Camble, and Lewis.

Luton Reserves:-
Hill, Graham;
Jephson, Parker, Browne;
Dormer, Mathieson, Reid, Lawson, and Sidney.

Mathieson, the Luton inside right and Irish International, was very much in the picture in the early moments, when the City backs were none too accurate in their kicking.

Watson saved a bumping shot from Lawson, and at the other end a header by Townsend travelled wide. Harold Figg, the St Albans City amateur, who has a big shock of auburn hair, won applause for some sound tackling, and play became fast and interesting.

Mathieson thrust his way through the defence and his powerful shot cannoned against the underside of the crossbar, and rebounded on to the goal-line and thence into play. Promptly Lawson headed goal-wards, only to see the ball hit the bar again and come out. Luton then got into their stride and scored four goals without reply, through Mathieson (first half), Reid (two), and Sidney.

Exeter were awarded a penalty in the second half, for a foul on Townsend, but Camble's shot was saved by Gibbon.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>