Match 20
6th December 1924
Gillingham (h)

Southern League.
Taunton (a)

ECFC 3-3 Gillingham
Scorers: Lievesley, Compton, Blackmore
Attendance: 6000

Thursday's gruelling Cup Replay at Somerton Park compelled the City to make several alterations in the team to oppose Gillingham the League match at St James's Park today. Fortunately Exeter are very strong in reserve talent, and all the men selected have had Football League experience.
Gillingham, who won their Cup Replay with Kettering during the week, were at full strength, and the weather having improved to some extent after a wild and wet night, a bright game was looked forward to.

Saturday, December 6th.
Last season: City 2 Gillingham 1.

Exeter City:
Pollard Flynn
Crawshaw Potter Murray
Matthews Kirk Lievesley Blackmore Compton

Referee:- Mr A.J.Bissex, of Bath.

Berry Hall Brown Marshall Chance
Hook Rutherford Jones
Butler Robertson

Andy Flynn captained the Grecians in the absence of Charlton, but Gillingham won the toss, and the "Hoppers" played from the St James's Road end with the wind and sun behind them. Despite having six reserves in their team Exeter opened very strongly, and in three minutes had obtained a goal, the ball going swiftly from Murray to Kirk, then to Matthews, and then across the front of the goal for Lievesley to find the net.
The City excelled at following up rapidly, and the Gillingham defence was given no rest by a dashing forward line, well led by Lievesley. Swift passing between Flynn, Blackmore, and Compton was responsible for a second goal being scored after fifteen minutes, Compton rounding off a grand move by cutting into the penalty area and beating Fox with a fast ground shot that passed underneath the goalkeeper's body as he dived, too late. Gillingham, however, were not so weak as the concession of these two early goals made them appear, and after twenty minutes Brown reduced the lead after the opening had been cut out by Berry. Kirk then broke through with a brilliant run and shot, the ball travelling inches outside the far post. Exeter continued to force the pace, with Kirk in brilliant form and showing no ill effects from the two slogging Cup-ties of the past week. Kirk initiated many fine moves, which were not taken up by the other forwards, and after forty minutes a weak clearance by Pollard enable Berry to equalise.

Gillingham, outplayed for most of the first half, had been very fortunate to get two goals, and they owed much to Berry's speed and cleverness. They had some more luck early in the second half when Fox at full length just reached a grounder from Lievesley, which deserved a better fate. Then some woefully weak play by the Exeter half-backs enabled Gillingham to take the lead, Hall scoring. Potter was stunned in a collision with Marshall, but resumed, and then, to the relief and joy of the crowd Blackmore received a pass from Compton and steered the ball brilliantly past a couple of "Hoppers" in the penalty area and shot for goal. The ball struck a defender, but came back to Blackmore, and this time the Silverton sharp-shooter made no mistake.

Southern League.

Brilliant weather prevailed at Taunton, and there was a large attendance. The Reserves were below strength through having to provide men for the first team, and were beaten by two goals to one. Skuse opened the scoring for Taunton after fifteen minutes, from Dale's pass, and Dale converted a penalty after the interval. Five minutes from time Shelton scored for the Reserves.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>