Match 27
30th January 1926
Gillingham (a)

Western League
Yeovil & Petters (h)

Gillingham v City

Saturday, January 30th 1926.

Following their splendid victory over Charlton Athletic last week, Exeter City were called upon to face a stiff task this afternoon, after their long journey to Gillingham. The "Hoppers," who have a slightly better record than Exeter, have always been a difficult side to overcome on their own ground, while on the other hand many weeks have elapsed since the Grecians gained their solitary success away from St James's Park.
The City lost this match solely because the inside forwards failed to control the ball or pass with any degree of accuracy. Lievesley and McDevitt were the two chief offenders, but altogether Exeter's attack was generally subdued.
Potter played a useful game, but Pullan and Shelton were slow, and allowed the opposition too much scope. Charlton was the better of the backs, and Bailey made several fine saves.

Robertson Butler
Jones Rutherford Nichol
McWhirr Marshall Brown Craddock Richards

Referee:- Mr E.E.Small, of Bristol.

Compton Lievesley Blackmore McDevitt Matthews
Shelton Potter Pullan
Charlton Pollard
Exeter City.

The weather, with a few light showers before the kick off, turned out quite favourable, but the ground was very soft and muddy. There were 4,000 spectators when the teams appeared, and Gillingham won the toss. Right from the start Blackmore's quickness on the ball gave Exeter an advantage, and from Compton's centre Blackmore headed strongly but straight into Ferguson's hands. Jones was in fone form for Gillingham, and Compton and Lievesley, although combining well, were unable to make much headway. Exeter at this stage were having an equal share of the game, but their attack lacked penetration against the robust methods of Robertson. After twenty seven minutes Craddock from 20 yards fired in a shot which had Bailey beaten all the way. Attacking now in forceful style the Hoppers were again in evidence, and ten minutes after their first goal they scored the second. The ball was sent over to Brown, who coolly lifted it over Bailey and into an empty net, the City goalkeeper having dashed out too far. Half-time:
Gillingham 2 Exeter City 0.
Second Half.

The City made several efforts to reduce the margin of goals against them, but as usual in this game, their attacks lacked the necessary sting. The latter stages of the game, with Gillingham content to hold their lead, were tame and most uninteresting.


In this Western League match, at St James's Park, the City Reserves were opposed by Yeovil and Petters United, the team against whom a big six-nothing victory was registered by the Grecians earlier in the season. Today both sides were fully representative.
City Reserves.
Lowton Flynn
Crawshaw Crompton Myers Newman Kirk Casson Bolam Hawkins

Referee:- Mr F.H.Wheaton.

Hayward Wilson Scott Edwards Pidgeon Haywood Gregory Abbott
May Smith

A shot by Hawkins at an acute angle cannoned from Vallis to Casson, who promptly netted for an early opening goal to Exeter. The City's long passing moves kept Yeovil generally defending, but after 18 minutes Edwards drove the ball against the crossbar for Scott to the lead, and increased it with a third goal and his "hat trick." fire in the rebound. Casson, from a nice pass by Kirk, gave Exeter In the second half a goal by Casson was followed by one from Scott, and the process was repeated by Kirk and Edwards.
Exeter City Reserves 5
Yeovil and Petters 3.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>