Match 17
3rd December 1927
Southern League
Exeter City Res. v Aberdare Athletic
7th December 1927
Exmouth Town v Exeter City
3rd December 1927
Third Division
ECFC v Coventry City

Exeter City v Coventry City

Attendance: 5,000
Saturday, December 3rd 1927.

The weather was dull and damp and the ground soft and sticky. There was an attendance of 5,000 spectators present when Coventry won the toss, and lined up at the far end. The Coventry City party had been staying at Bournemouth since Wednesday, and they journeyed to Exeter this morning. Exeter City lost their home record at the expense of Coventry, who last year were beaten by eight goals to one at St James's Park. Coventry adopted the wing to wing style of play, and this often puzzled the home defence. Eventually Heathcote scored from Bell's centre fifteen minutes after the kick-off, and this goal was sufficient to win the game. In the fading light after the interval Newton kept a fine goal for Coventry, being well covered by Tinning and Gay, while McClure, the old Aston Villa stalwart, was the best half-back on the field.

Exeter City: - Holland; Pollard, Charlton; Phoenix, Pool, Gee; Purcell, McDevitt, Dent, Vaughan, and Compton.
Coventry City:- Newton; Tinning, Gay; Askew, McClure, Hunter; Bird, Heathcote, Johnstone, Ramage, and Bell.
Referee:- Mr J.H. Collins, of Birmingham.

Without a doubt the Grecians were surprised by the nippiness and all round - ability of the men of Coventry, who must have played one of their best games on the day when the Grecians played one of their worst. Compton, through trying to make sure, missed a great chance of giving Exeter the lead right at the start of the match, when a goal to the Grecians would probably have altered the complexion of the whole game. The visitors, greatly encouraged by their goal at the end of a quarter of an hour, played sparkling open football, and against their rock-like defence the close passing methods of Exeter City broke down sadly. Exeter made some desperate late attempts to save a point, but in the gathering gloom Newton was in marvellous form, and would let nothing pass him. Holland, in the City's goal, also came out of the game with much credit. But for his resolute and daring defence the Exeter deficit might have been much bigger. Defeat comes to every team some time, but it was a sad disappointment that it should have happened to Exeter today, when there was every prospect of a good opening to the attractive December League and Cup programme. The Grecians if they are to continue in the winning vein of this season must make amends next Saturday. They must not allow themselves to be caught napping like this in future games.


There were great expectations for Aberdare Athletic today when they met Exeter City Reserves in a Southern League match on their own ground. The severe and relentless treatment which the Welshmen received at the hands of the Exeter senior team in the first round of the Cup last week made the home side rather nervous of today's encounter, and it was some time before they settled down to play steady football. In the opening ten minutes the City Reserves had all the
advantage, and the 'Darians were mainly on the defensive. Crum was afforded a further opportunity of witnessing the strength of Exeter City's shooting in the opening stages. Pretty play by Ditchburn and Mason enabled McDade to send in a stinging shot which Crum had difficulty in clearing.
The City Reserves were slightly superior in all departments, and they claimed a well-merited lead after ten minutes. The goal itself was a soft and simple one, an easy shot from Lievesley going through the goalkeeper's legs. The home forwards then woke up, and being well supported by Sampson, gave a deal of trouble to Lowton and Warren, and sometimes to Wainwright. Aberdare equalised after half an hour when Watts beat Ditchburn and Lowton in a nice dribble and his centre from the touch-line was converted by Williams with a terrific shot in the corner of the net. Half-time: One goal each.

Second Half.

Long passing methods by both sides was the order of play in the second period. Each goal was tested, but both goalkeepers were sound. Aberdare were without Sheldon after ten minutes, the winger being injured in a collision with Mason. Aberdare, with only ten men, struck a brilliant patch after twenty minutes' play, and in spite of the most strenuous efforts Lowton and Warren failed to stem the attacks to which the City goal was subjected. The 'Darians obtained the lead through Watts with a swerving oblique shot, and in the next minute Edmunds found the net with a low drive. Exeter City rallied towards the end, and Lievesley headed through a corner kick from Chambers.

Wednesday, December 7th 1927.


At the invitation of the Exmouth United chairman, Mr B. Taylor, the Exeter City club sent a representative team to Exmouth on the occasion of the opening of the new ground on the Maer.

The players were:

Exmouth United: Chapman; Noble, Parker; A.Skinner, Dymond, Dare; Orpen, Lawes, Goldsworthy, B.Skinner, and Perry.
Exeter City:
Wainwright; Lowton, Warren; Ditchburn, Mason, McDade; Parkin, Andrews, Lievesley, Selley, and Kirk.

Lowton cleared upfield from Exmouth's opening raid, and Kirk fastened on to the ball and passed across to Lievesley, who shot into the net. Exmouth were trying hard, and Goldsworthy hit the post, the ball being sent for a corner which Orpen put behind. Andrews scored Exeter's second goal. In the second half Ditchburn, Andrews and Lievesley scored for Exeter City, and Orpen made a fine run down the wing and centred to Lawes, who scored for Exmouth. Lievesley (2) and Kirk (1) rounded off the scoring.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>