Match 40
28th March 1928
Gillingham (a)

Western League
Yeovil and Petters (h)

Wednesday, March 28th 1928.

Commencing the game after five o'clock on Wednesday it seemed doubtful that the Gillingham v Exeter City match at Gillingham would run its allotted time, but by striking out the half-time interval it was just managed. This late start, however, was fatal to Exeter. They were the better balanced side on the play, obtained the lead just after the change of ends, and were capable of holding it, but in the last five minutes the light was so feeble that it was realised that the opportunity of shooting falling to either side would almost certainly bring a goal, for it was nearly impossible to follow the flight of the ball. This opportunity fell to Gillingham, and they took advantage of it, pulling the game out of the fire in the very last minute. Gillingham were well served by Tyler in defence and Poxton in attack. Their goal was scored by Millington. Exeter were the superior side, and Parkin, Clarke, and Dent all came close to scoring in the first half, whent the light was good. Vaughan scored the City's goal early in the second half with a beautiful flicked header into the corner of the net following a free kick taken by Jenkins. The

Exeter City team was: Wainwright; Pollard, Charlton; Phoenix, Pool, Clarke Jenkins, Purcell, Dent, Vaughan, Parkin.



Yeovil and Petters United visited St James's Park on Wednesday evening in a Western League match, and were beaten by Exeter City Reserves by 2-1. Exeter appeared to have the game well in hand as the interval approached, and ends were changed with the City leading by two clear goals, both netted with fine shots by Andrews.

Yeovil, however, improved greatly in the second half, and but for a brilliant. double save by Holland, at the expense of Grist and Davis and for the fact of Holland cutting out a dangerous cross-shot from Radford, the visitors would have captured at least one point.

Grist scored for Yeovil in the second half, his goal being the direct result of hesitation by the City defence. Rowlands spoiled an otherwise very good performance by an exhibition of bad temper consequent on an encounter with McDade, and was cautioned as to his future conduct in the match by the referee.

City Reserves:- Holland; Lowton and Warren; Ditchburn, Mason, and Chambers; Lievesley, McDade, Andrews, C.S.Bastin, and Kirk.

Yeovil & Petters: Packer; Abbott and Day; Pullan, Rowlands, and Davis; Newman, Edwards, Radford, Scott, and Grist.

  • The Devon Professional triangular tournament match between Torquay United and Plymouth Argyle at Plainmoor ended in a draw, neither side scoring. Craig, in the Argyle goal, played a good game. The match will have to be re-played and the winners will meet Exeter City in the final at St James's Park.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>