Match 18
7th December 1929
Coventry City (a)

Western League
Argyle Res.(h)

14th December 1929
Barnstaple (a)

Western League
Bristol Rvrs Res. (h)


Loughlin Saved a Point for Coventry in the Final Minute

Saturday, December 7th 1929.

COVENTRY CITY 3  (Dinsdale Loughlin 2)
EXETER CITY 3  (Purcell Houghton Doncaster)

Half-time Coventry 2 Exeter 1.

Coventry City:- Allen; Crown and Watson; Stokes, Dinsdale, and Bell;
Richards, Starsmore, Loughlin, Lake, and Ball.
Exeter City:- Alderson; Baugh and Shanks; Clarke, Ditchburn, and Dennington; Purcell, Houghton, Guyan, Hemingway, and Doncaster.
Referee:- Mr A.J.Attwood, of Newport.

Ditchburn won the toss, and Coventry kicked off against a strong wind which was blowing from end to end of the field. There were 6,000 spectators. The game, which was intensely exciting, was one of ups and downs as regards the goals, altogether six in number. From being two down Exeter fought back to equalise and actually take the lead through a great rally in the second half, then with almost the last kick Loughlin levelled the scores. The best player on the field was Dick Baugh, the Exeter right back. The following is a time-table of the goals:

  • 6 minutes, Dinsdale, a strong header from Ball's corner-kick,
  • 10 minutes, Loughlin, from Richards's centre,
  • 22 minutes, Purcell, following a clever combined movement.
  • 65 minutes, Houghton, a penalty kick for a foul on himself,
  • 70 minutes, Doncaster, meeting a centre from Purcell,
  • 89 minutes, Loughlin, in a last-minute Coventry "rush."

Western League

This Western League match, played at St James's Park in boisterous weather,
was attended by 1,500 spectators.

City Reserves: Holland; Howson, Bright; Sheffield, Mason, McMullan; Armfield, Thomas, Baldwin, Henderson, and Townsend.
Argyle Reserves: Cann; Thompson, Cosgrove; Fellowes, Deacon, Woosey;
Matthews, Richards, Borley, Findlay, and Channon.

A very tense match was played by the reserve teams of the City and the Argyle, and nothing was scored until threequarter time, when Baldwin netted. Henderson scored the City's second goal five minutes later.

Friendly at Barnstaple 
Saturday, December 14th 1929.


Exeter City's visit to Barnstaple for a friendly match attracted a good gate to the Landkey Road ground, which was in good condition. The City opened at a fast pace and were not long in testing Turner. Eventually Ditchburn, from a corner by Purcell, hooked the ball over the bar. Guyan opened the score after seven minutes play and Doncaster added a second goal, Turner being given no chance with fast shots. Tucker raised the hopes of the Barumites when he accepted a low pass to get well away, but Ditchburn intercepted his centre. A series of attacks, which bewildered the home defence, ended with Guyan from close range scoring a third goal. Purcell added a fourth, and shortly before the interval Ford reduced Barnstaple's arrears. The Grecians in the second half were content to play exhibition football, and demonstrated many of the finer points of the game. Houghton failed with a penalty kick, Turner saving his shot, and Salter shot fiercely out of Bond's reach to further reduce Barum's arrears. Hemingway in the last ten minutes beat several opponents and scored Exeter's fifth goal.

Barnstaple:- Turner; Cluett, Clement; Humphery, Shute, Hill; Gould, Salter, Tucker, Ford, and Smallbone.

Exeter City:- A. Bond; Baugh, Noble; Clarke, Ditchburn, Dennington; Purcell,
Houghton, Guyan, Hemingway, and Doncaster.
Referee:- Mr A.W.Lamacraft, of Exeter.

Western League match, at St. James's Park.

Dando very nearly scored for the Rovers when Howson failed to get his head to a centre from Paterson, his shot travelling just wide of the post. Henderson at the other end shot against the crossbar, the ball rebounding to Armfield, who should have scored easily, but he shot straight at Densley, who saved. After half an hour Dando headed a goal for Bristol, but one of their forwards was offside, Exeter getting a free kick. The play was generally very entertaining but the finishing of both sides was weak, although Exeter's Thomas and Baldwin were unlucky with good attempts. Exeter made strenuous efforts to score when the second half started, Thomas having hard luck with a shot which left the imprint of the ball on the Bristol crossbar. Mason and Henderson both put in long range shots which whistled over the bar and Densley saved from Thomas.

City Reserves:- Holland; Howson, Bright; Sheffield, Mason, McMullan; Armfield, Thomas, Baldwin, Henderson, and Townsend.

Rovers Reserves: - Densley; Bennett, Gillespie; Richardson, Gay, Roberts; Paterson, F. Britton, Dando, Dix, and Thomas. The attendance was 2,500.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>