Match 24
18th January 1930
Walsall (a)

Southern League
Lovell’s Athletic (h)

J.Gray Transferred from Liverpool
Saturday, January 18th 1930.

WALSALL 5  (Roe A. Walters Barnes Mason Eyres)
EXETER CITY 2 (Purcell Guyan)

Half-time Walsall 2 City 1.

Walsall:- Biddlestone; F.Walters, Houldey; Muldoon, Helliwell, Bradford; Mason, Roe, A.Walters, Eyres, and Barnes.
Exeter City:- Alderson; Gray, Shanks; Sheffield, Ditchburn, Dennington; Purcell, Houghton, Guyan, Hemingway, and Doncaster.
Referee:- Mr W.G.Tustin, of Enfield.

On Wednesday of this week Exeter City secured the transfer of W.J.Gray, the ex-South African International right back of Liverpool. He was a member of the South African XI which toured this country three years ago, and at the close of the visit he, along with G.Hodgson, forward, and A.Riley, goalkeeper, were signed on by the Liverpool club, while D.J.Murray, forward, who now plays for Bristol Rovers, was engaged by Everton.

The match at Walsall today was not such a keenly-fought game as the Cup-tie between the two teams on the same ground in November, but it was nevertheless interesting, and developed into a hard fight in the second half. The City had quite a good share of the game and some of their mid-field play was equal to anything Walsall accomplished, but they were hardly so forceful or accurate in their finishing as their opponents. Gray created a very good impression in his first match and will be a big asset to the City when he settles in. Purcell and Doncaster were the best of Exeter's forwards.

Southern League

St James's Park was in better condition than for some time past, when at three o'clock on the tick the City Reserves commenced operations in their Southern League match with Lovells. The attendance was 2,000.

City Reserves:- Godbeer; Howson and Bright; Hill, Mason and Gurkin; Armfield, Thomas, Henderson, Clarke, and McMullan.
Lovells:- Hughes; Hoggett and F.Williams; C.Williams, Elwell, and J.R.Jones; Cook, Swan, Gardner, Macgill, and Hiles.

The visitors took the lead inside two minutes, Cook heading past Godbeer, who was deputising for Holland, a victim of influenza, from Hiles's centre. From a corner kick taken by McMullan the City equalised, Armfield scoring, and in the last minute of the opening half Henderson gave Exeter the lead. Hiles in the second half scored for Lovells with a very fine shot.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>