Match 38
12th April 1930
Coventry City (h)

16th April 1930
Devon Professional Championship
Torquay United (h)

18th April 1930
Southern League
Yeovil & Petters United (h)


Hemingway the Only Exeter Forward With a Shot

Saturday, April 12th 1930.
EXETER CITY 1  (Hemingway)
Half-time Exeter 0 Coventry 1.

Exeter City:- Holland; Gray and Shanks; Clarke, Mason, and Dennington; Purcell, Houghton, Varco, Hemingway, and McMullan.
Coventry City:- Allen; Crown and Watson; Baker, Higham, and Bell;
Richards, Widdowson, Loughlin, Lake, and Pick.
Referee:- Mr A.J.Attwood, of Newport.

Crown beat Mason in the toss and Exeter lined up at the far end facing the wind and sun. The attendance was nearly 6,000. The score of one goal all was the correct result of a game in which both the Grecians and Coventry missed many chances, and Hemingway alone of the Exeter forwards seemed to know where the opposing goal was. Coventry were the more virile in attack, but finished poorly, and the fault was apparent throughout the greater part of the game.


Holland was at fault when a long dropping ball came in from the Coventry right wing. He partly gathered it but then let go, and Lake scored. The second half produced the better goal of the two. Purcell made headway on the right and centred to Hemingway, who headed the ball strongly into the top of the net with Allen well beaten.


    At the end of the current season the Exeter City club will lose one of its best and most prominent players in Sam Mason, who has been appointed a member of the Metropolitan Police Force. The news will come as a surprise to many of the club's followers, among whom Mason's departure will be regretted. Sam Mason has almost completed three campaigns with the Grecians, and is at present captain of the side. Joining Exeter City from Gillingham, at the start of the 1927-28 season, he has appeared fairly and has played extremely well on many occasions. gularly in the first eleven, Last season Mason was unfortunate in that he was the victim of a very serious illness, but now has no traces of the malady which laid him up for so long.


Exeter Beat the Magpies by Three Goals to Two

Wednesday, April 16th 1930.

EXETER CITY 3 (Hemingway 2 Varco)
TORQUAY UNITED 2  (Robinson Hill)
Half-time City 2 Torquay 0.

Exeter City:- Holland; Gray and Miller; Clarke, Mason, & Dennington; Purcell, Houghton, Varco, Hemingway, and McMullan.
Torquay United: Regan; Wright and Goucher; Bruce, White, and Hunter; Mercer, Rice, Hill, Robinson, and Burn.
Referee:- Mr A.W.Martin, of Exeter.

The first half play was often very entertaining. Exeter City were strongly served by their half backs, and many attractive moves were developed. Hill was Torquay's most dangerous raider, but he lacked support. The "Magpies," however, were generally engaged busily in defence, and Exeter throughout this half were the aggressors. The first goal was scored after 20 minutes by Hemingway, who headed a nice centre from Purcell into the Torquay net. A minute later Varco nearly added a goal, Regan fisting the shot over the bar. Varco from McMullan's shrewd pass drove the ball narrowly over the crossbar with another powerful shot, and right on half-time Varco converted a centre from Purcell with a header that Regan completely misjudged. There were three quick goals scored at the start of the second half, the ball being first run into the Exeter net by Robinson, followed immediately by a glorious scoring shot from Hemingway, and almost as quickly Hill heading in a centre from Burn.

Only once after this was there a real scoring effort, and that was when Regan fisted over a dangerous header from Hemingway. For the rest, the rival defences were able to cope with every attack, and in these stages Torquay had more of the game than Exeter without doing anything positive. Closing play was spoiled by an exhibition of petty feeling on the part of two or three of the players which led to numerous free-kicks, Robinson being the chief offender.

Easter Holiday Football
Southern League 

Exeter City Reserves were beaten by Yeovil and Petters United by 4 goals to o in a Southern League match at St James's Park, Bloxham (2) and Western getting the goals in the opening half and Western netting again after the interval. The Exeter team included Death, Baugh, and Armfield, three players who have recovered from troublesome injuries. Armfield was the Grecians' best forward. Death showed glimpses of excellent football but retired from the game a few minutes before the finish. Several good chances fell to Doncaster, including a penalty, but all missed because his shooting was not good enough to trouble Johnson Yeovil goal. were in the Bond, of Dawlish Argyle, kept goal for Exeter, and although somewhat lacking in experience made some very good saves, especially in the second half.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>