Match 19
6th December 1930
Coventry City (a)

Reserve Friendly
Bristol League X1 (h)


The Brilliant Goal-Keeping of Davies

Saturday, December 6th 1930.

COVENTRY CITY 3 (Lake Phillips Reay) EXETER CITY 1 (Varco)
Half-time 2-0.

Coventry City:Allen; Watson and Tilford; Stokes, Baker, and Bell; Reay, Ball, Phillips, Lake, and Bowden.
Exeter City: Davies; Baugh and Miller;
Clarke, Dennington, and Barber; Armfield, Purcell, Varco, Houghton, and Doncaster.
Referee:- Mr R.G.Rudd, of Croydon.

It was a finely contested game, and Exeter had their bright patches, when they were every bit as good as Coventry. Unfortunately they were hardly so consistent, and at times kept the ball too close against a fast moving opposition. The Coventry backs were very sound. As a cup-tie prelude the match indicated that the Grecians would have to be on their best behaviour next week, but on the form which they are capable of they should not be beaten. The goalkeeping in this game reached a high level, Davies in particular giving a brilliant exhibition. Armfield and Doncaster were Exeter's best forwards.

Grecians' Defence in Difficulties.

Dennington won the toss, and Baugh checked the first Coventry attack. Varco got away and passed to Houghton, but when the ball was sent out to the Exeter left wing Doncaster was offside. Play rapidly veered to the other end, where Miller relieved with a huge kick. A spell of short passing by Coventry was broken up by Barber, but the attack was continued, and Bell drove the ball over the bar. Davies saved twice in quick succession from Phillips, but Coventry were persistent, and when Baugh failed to clear Lake dashed in and scored, giving the "Peepers" the lead. Exeter rallied and Allen saved from Purcell. Generally speaking there was little punch in the Exeter attack, and the finishing was not as good as in most of the recent matches. Furthermore, the Coventry backs were in very sound form, the clean and well directed kicking of Watson being a feature of the game. A fast run along the touch-line by Armfield looked promising, but his final pass was intercepted. Clarke tackled finely to rob Phillips, and then Davies saved from the centre-forward at point blank range. The thrust ful raids of Coventry were always dangerous, and just before the interval Phillips forced his way through and gave Davies no chance with a fierce shot from close range. The old Bristol Rover invariably does this sort of thing against Exeter. In the second half Exeter were the first to attack, Allen saving from Doncaster
and a shot by Barber going over the bar. Davies saved from Phillips, but after a spell of midfield play the ball was passed from Phillips to Reay, who scored Coventry's third goal. Exeter were further pressed, and Davies on his knees made a wonderful save from Lake. Play continued at a fast pace, and when Armfield attempted to cut in he was fouled. Exeter did better towards the end of the game, and Varco eventually fastened on to a pass from Purcell and beat Allen from twelve yards, the ball flashing into the top of the net at a great pace. Varco made another praiseworthy attempt to break through but was thwarted by Tilford passing back to Allen.


Having received and beaten Bristol City Reserves and Bristol Rovers Reserves in competition games on successive Saturdays, Exeter City Reserves were at home in friendly match this afternoon to a Bristol and District League eleven, representative of the best amateur talent of Bristol and the neighbourhood. Exeter had at centre-forward L.E.Grant, of Clyst Hydon.

The weather was quiet and inclined to be foggy.

Exeter City Res. Jones Gray Bright E.Keefe Angus Inglis J.Gumm McCosh L.E.Grant Halliday Lister.
Bristol and District League.
T.Cuff (J.S.Fry and Sons)
W.Millard (Mount Hill)
S.Bryant (St. Philip's Adult School)
H.Winstone (Mount Hill)
W.Jefferies (St. Philip's Adult School)
Cook (Mount Hill)
Jones (St. Pancras)
Jones (St. Philip's Adult School)
Rogers (Burnham)
Brown (St. Pancras)
Price (St. Philip's Adult School)

Referee:- Mr C.C.Brown.

Owing to the late arrival of the Bristol team the kick off was delayed by ten minutes, till 2.50 p.m. A daring save by Cuff prevented the Grecians taking the lead in the opening two minutes, and a header from Lister flew out of Cuff's hands on to the goal-post and back to the goalkeeper. Halliday headed a goal for Exeter after twenty-two minutes. In 35 minutes Jones (St. Philip's) equalised for the League, but straight from the restart Exeter gained ground by a series of quick passes, and from Gumm's centre McCosh headed the ball home.
City Reserves 2 Bristol 1.

Ends were changed without the interval being taken. Grant scored for Exeter and Rogers for Bristol, and following good work by Inglis in support of the attack Grant obtained another goal. McCosh made Exeter's total five when he beat Cuff from close range from Lister's centre.
Final Result 


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>