Match 35
18th February 1931
Walsall (h)

Wednesday, February 18th 1931.

There was only a small "gate" at St James's Park this afternoon for the Football League game between Exeter City and Walsall. The weather was fine, but there was a biting northerly wind, and this no doubt kept many people away. Mr Herbert Chapman of the Arsenal and Mr Peter McWilliam of Middles brough were among those who watched the game from the grand-stand.

Exeter City:- Davies; Gray and Miller; Inglis, Angus, and Clarke; Armfield, Purcell, Varco, Houghton, and Doncaster.
Walsall:- John; Godfrey and Houldey;
Muldoon, Bradford, and Archer; Parle, Shaw, Mays, Eyres, and Barnes.
Referee:- Mr W.Evans, of Barry.

There were 3,000 people present when Miller won the toss, and gave the City the advantage of the breeze. Walsall started very smartly, and Mays swung out a lovely pass to Parle, who centred nicely. Davies left his goal, and was successful in clearing. Davies then saved a low shot from Barnes. Exeter took up the running, but when Purcell cleverly drew the defence and passed to Varco the centre-forward was given offside, a decision which the crowd did not relish at all. Armfield and Clarke went close with strong shots, and the City then gave a mild demonstration of the Cup football, John having a busy time covering the Walsall goal. In 27 minutes, however, Walsall opened the scoring, the ball being sent out by Mays to Barnes, who rounded Gray and closed in to beat Davies from ten yards' range.

Half-time: Exeter City O Walsall 1.

Exeter attacked on the resumption of play, and John saved from Varco. Mays, gaining possession from Parle, shot unhesitatingly just under the bar, thus scoring Walsall's second goal. Davies was a fraction too late in trying to save the ball. Two minutes later Walsall again got going, and a capital centre from Barnes enabled Parle to beat Davies with a swift low header. The Grecians seemed bewildered at the turn of events, and after two more shots were charged down Mays scored again for the visitors. Exeter then pulled themselves together and Varco scored two goals in quick succession, but Walsall were not to be denied, and a centre from Barnes was turned into the Exeter net by Mays.

Result: Exeter City 2 Walsall 5.

It was Exeter's second home defeat of the season and the highest score against them at St James's Park.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>