Match 06
17th September 1932
Third Division
Torquay United v Exeter City
Southern League
Exeter City Res. v Torquay United Res.
22nd September 1932
Lovell’s Athletic v Exeter City Res.


Fine All Round Display Introduction of Higgins a Wise Move

Saturday, September 17th 1932.
EXETER CITY 3 (Poulter Scott Higgins)
Half-time 0-2.

Torquay: Maggs; Tennant, Tapp; Anderson, Martin, Robinson; Birkett, Hutchinson, Stabb, Orr, Bird.

Exeter: Davies; Gray, Miller; Clarke, Childs, Barber; Scott, Higgins, Poulter, Houghton, Welsby.

Referee:- Mr F.W.Reeve, of Devonport.

Exeter City's visit to Torquay in the first of the season's Devon Derbies aroused more than ordinary interest, the Magpies having previously registered their record score of 8 goals to 1, at the expense of Southend United. Torquay fielded an unchanged team and the City made one alteration, Higgins taking over at inside right in place of Kennedy.


There was a tremendous influx of City supporters by road and rail and there were rousing cheers for both teams when they turned out, in brilliant and sweltering weather. The attendance was 6,000. Miller won the toss, and Exeter played up the slope with the sun behind them in the opening half. In eight minutes Exeter opened the score. Scott, timing his jump perfectly to beat Maggs to a dropping ball. He headed it across to where Poulter was waiting, and the centre-forward swung round and drove it right footed into the empty goal. The game continued fast, and the big improvement in the pace of the Exeter forwards was a marked feature. It was in no small measure on account of the bustle and energy of Higgins, whose inclusion for the first time in the attack seemed a wise move. Two minutes before the interval Scott advanced into the penalty area and beat Maggs with a lovely cross-shot, which kept low. The trainers were called on to the field in the second half when Barber and Birkett collided, both players being dazed. Miller was crocked in tackling Birkett, and had to be assisted from the scene of activity. During his absence Torquay set up a fierce attack and Davies was beaten by a strong shot from Orr, after 13 minutes. The reappearance of Miller was the signal for an outburst of cheering from the Exeter contingent, and the Exeter captain continued to be the mainstay of a rock-like defence in which Childs and Gray played notable parts. With 13 minutes left for play Higgins put the issue beyond all doubt, scoring Exeter's third goal with a crashing shot from about twenty-five yards' range.

Southern League

Following their brilliant display in midweek Exeter City Reserves were unchanged this afternoon when they met Torquay Reserves in a Southern League match at St James's Park.

Exeter City:- Ince; Ditchburn, Hughes; Robinson, Angus, E.Tappin; J.Gumm, Connaboy, Whitlow, Kennedy, S.Hurst.

Torquay: Millsom; Webster, Fowler; Hewitt, T.Davies, R.Beer; Avey, Mills, Davis, Flavell, H.F.Rogers.

A clever move by Connaboy resulted in Whitlow scoring for the City after 35 minutes. Whitlow scored the City's second goal with a penalty kick, awarded against one of the Torquay backs for a foul on Connaboy, and the home leader, cleverly put through by Kennedy, almost scored again, but his high cross-shot rebounded into play from the far upright.
Half-time: City 2 Torquay 0.

Millsom caught and cleared a header by Gumm, the opening having been provided by the skilful Whitlow. A sudden breakaway by the visitors should have produced a goal, but Avey shot harmlessly by the posts from a centre from Rogers which was placed beautifully into the goalmouth. With ten minutes remaining Mills scored for Torquay and Whitlow for Exeter. Two goals were then obtained by the Magpies in the closing stages.

Thursday, September 22nd 1932.

The ground conditions were so bad at Rexville, Newport, that the match between Exeter City Reserves and Lovells was anybody's game for a long period. Exeter favoured short passing, but this slowed up their attacks to such an extent that the Lovells' defenders had ample time to fall back and checkmate the moves. On the other hand Lovells relied on kick and rush methods, which were suitable to the conditions, and this in the end brought them victory. Connaboy scored a clever opening goal, but persistent pressure by the home side led to the equaliser, scored by R.Hill. Early in the second half Gardner headed in another goal and later increased Newport's lead. The last and best goal of the match was obtained by Whitlow, the result of a strong individual effort by the City leader.

Exeter Reserves: - Ince; Ditchburn, Hughes; E. Keefe, Robinson, A.Johnson; J.Gumm, Connaboy, Whitlow, Kennedy, Courtney.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>