Match 07
24th September 1932
Exeter City v Crystal Palace
Truro City v Exeter City Reserves


Defences Superior Barber's Extraordinary Goal

Saturday, September 24th 1932.
EXETER CITY 1 (Barber)
Half-time 1-1.

Exeter City: Davies Gray Miller Clarke Robinson Barber Scott Higgins Poulter Houghton Welsby
Referee:- Mr A. J. Spittle, of Gravesend.
Crystal Palace: Dunn Turner Parry Rivers Nicholas Wilde Doncaster Roberts Manders May Harry

The City were unlucky in having both their recognised centre half backs, Childs and Angus, on the injured list. Robinson, who is the reserve right half, was called upon to fill the vacancy. Roberts and Doncaster, the ex-Grecians, who constitute the Crystal Palace left wing these days, were warmly welcomed by the spectators, who numbered just over 7,000. The Palace were without their first-choice centre forward, Peter Simpson, and Manders filled the vacancy. Miller lost the toss, and Exeter played towards the St James's Road end and facing the sun, in the opening half. The Palace drew first blood, May finding the net with a perfectly placed cool shot close to the post after seventeen minutes.

Eight minutes before the interval Exeter equalised in sensational manner. A foul on Houghton (not the first by any means) near the touch-line and fully 45 yards from the Palace goal, was taken by Barber, who placed the ball into the goalmouth, where several of the visitors bunched themselves in support of Dunn. Amazingly all these men left the ball to one another, and it sailed easily into the net. The game did not come up to expectations. Both sides were over-keen and of good football there was only a minimum. The defences in the greater part of the game were superior, and apart from occasional flashes the forwards were very subdued. Doncaster and Roberts in the first twenty minutes performed like a star wing pair, but in face of the clever and strong defence of Gray and Clarke the two ex-Grecians almost faded out.


The City Reserves travelled to Truro, where they were engaged in a friendly match against the local side. Truro did so well against their professional visitors that they deserved to have the lead at the interval. Ince had a good deal more to do than the home custodian, and he saved his side from several dangerous situations. Ince saved from Bradley at close quarters, and Sambrook fired wide of the Exeter goal when well placed. At the other end Whitlow shot, and the ball went off Addison on to the post and the goalkeeper cleared.

Half-time no score.

Soon after the restart Whitlow scored from Kennedy's centre, then following a miskick by Alcock, Whitlow went through on his own to notch Exeter's second goal. Kennedy obtained a further point from Whitlow's pass. Truro made a strong rally towards the close, and Sambrook netted following a corner. 


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>