Match 08
1st October 1932
Luton Town (h)

Western League
Bristol Rovers Res. (a)

Whitlow's Leadership 


Higgins Scores the Goals

Saturday, October 1st 1932.
EXETER CITY 2 (Higgins 2)
Half-time 1-0.

Exeter City: Davies Gray Miller Clarke Childs Barber Scott Higgins Whitlow Houghton Welsby

Referee:- Mr W. E. Russell, of Swindon.

Corkindale Rennie Brown Hutchison Mills
Fraser McGinnigle Kean
Mackey Kingham
Luton Town

Whitlow has come to stay. That must be the verdict of all after today's match, which showed the City forwards in a better  light, under the leadership of the ex-Charlton Athletic player, than in any previous game this season. There was a whole lot of inspiration to the other forwards in the work of Whitlow. Although he did not himself score, it will not have escaped notice that he furnished the thoughtful passes from which Higgins got both his goals. Under Whitlow's leadership Higgins revealed very impressive form, and Houghton also gave by far his best display of this season. Barber and Childs were in sterling form in the Exeter half - back line, while once again Miller, Gray, and Davies were in championship form. Altogether this was a most pleasing match, the work of the whole side suggesting some very good times ahead for the City club. Luton were beaten in all the finer points of the game, and for McGinnigle it must have been an absolutely gruelling affair. The goals were scored in the fifteenth minute of the first half and the tenth minute of the second. Five minutes before the interval a penalty was awarded Exeter when Welsby was tripped in the area, but Houghton's shot from the mark was saved by Harford.

Western League

Despite heavy rain in the morning a good crowd assembled at the Rovers' ground to see the Western League match between the City and Bristol Rovers Reserves. Treacherous ground conditions and a wet ball made good play very difficult. Routledge shot just wide for Bristol, and when Exeter broke away Courtney fed Hurst, who was checked by the home backs before he could shoot. Hurst gave Exeter the lead in the eighth minute, and Routledge from Green's centre equalised. Courtney netted for Exeter, his oblique drive going into the goal off the post.

Rovers:- Harvey; Golledge, Lewis; Irving, Townrow, Mc Andrew; Hicks, Miles, Routledge, Dando, Green. Exeter City:- Ince; Ditchburn, Hughes; Keefe, Robinson, Connaboy;
Gumm, Risdon, Hurst, Kennedy, Courtney.

Hughes and Ditchburn defended stoutly in the face of many strong Bristol attacks, but Exeter went further ahead when Gumm centred and Golledge put the ball into his own net. Exeter, who were good value for their victory, scored again through Hurst.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>