Match 12
29th October 1932
Third Division
Exeter City v Watford
Barry v Exeter City Reserves

City v Watford 


Scores Four Goals

Saturday, October 29th 1932.
EXETER CITY 5 (Welsby Whitlow 4)
WATFORD 2  (Wooliscroft Lane)
Half-time 2-2.

Exeter City:
Gray Miller
Robinson Childs Clarke
Scott Higgins Whitlow Houghton Welsby
Referee: Mr F.W.Reeve, of Devonport.

Barnes Lowe Lane Wooliscroft Chapman
Woodward O'Brien Findlay
Moran Brown

Pretty but ineffective play on a heavy ground contributed to Watford's failure in a most remarkable game. Had they continued as they begun when the City defenders were almost immediately on the run there might have been a different tale to tell. As it was, fine approach work was all too often marred by over elaboration, giving the City rearguard time to recover and to repel the attacks. It was some minutes before Exeter began to hit back, Welsby bringing Rutherford out for a smart clearance. A hectic fifteen minutes was marked by the registration of four goals. Watford opened the scoring, Wooliscroft firing through from close range following a mix-up in the City goal area, but the lead was short-lived, for Welsby, after putting in a shot which grazed the cross-bar, got his head to Scott's centre to equalise. Further "see-sawing" ensued. Lowe headed through from a centre by Chapman, but before the interval Whitlow had again levelled matters with a shot just inside the far post. Exeter got in front on resuming, Whitlow converting a grounder from Scott, and after going ahead for the first time in the game the Grecians put up a tremendous pressure to retain their advantage. The Watford goal underwent an almost continuous bombardment but somehow the City marksmen were kept at bay, although the frame work of the Watford goal bore many evidences of their nearness until two quick goals by Whitlow, the first from Welsby's pass and the second from a smart return by Scott put the result of the match beyond doubt.


Exeter City Reserves beat Barry by two goals to one, all being registered in the second half. A shot from one of the home forwards was covered by Ince until Hughes in attempting to clear deflected the ball out of his reach and into the net. Exeter took control of the game after this, and the equalising goal, by S.Hurst, was only a just reward for their good play. The winning goal was scored by Risdon from Gumm's centre.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>