Match 25
18th January 1933
Third Division
Exeter City v Brighton & Hove Albion
Sidmouth v Exeter City


Great Exeter Win 

Another Whitlow Hat-Trick

Wednesday, January 18th 1933.
EXETER CITY 4 (Scott Whitlow 3) BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION 1 (Wilkinson)
Half-time 2-0.

For a long time on Wednesday it looked as if Exeter City's match with Brighton and Hove Albion, postponed from last Saturday on account of the Sussex club's interest in the Cup, would have to be further adjourned on account of fog. The conditions improved at mid-day, however, and the game started in due course. There was still some mist about and the playing pitch was very heavy. The attendance was only 2,000. Miller and Higgins were at left back and outside left respectively for the City, Hughes, who has influenza, and Welsby being omitted.

Exeter City.
Gray Miller
Clarke Childs Barber
Scott Kennedy Whitlow Houghton Higgins

Referee:- Mr W. B. Bristow, of Stafford.

Wilson Smith Attwood Farrell Thompson Walker Brett Wilkinson
King Marsden
Brighton & Hove.

The visitors had slightly the better of the early exchanges, and playing from the St James's Road end their forward combination was very smart. Exeter had to operate mainly on the defensive, and with Smith's distribution of the ball an outstanding feature the threats to the home goal came from every part of the Brighton line in turn. The City's covering up, however, was admirable, and as often as they advanced Brighton were sent back without Davies having to do much. Three minutes after the start there was a big thrill all against the run of the play so far. Hought on, receiving from Higgins, put a pass up the middle for Kennedy to run on to. The ball moved a shade too fast for Kennedy to collect it, but Webb, moving out from his goal, fumbled badly and only gathered the leather with difficulty at the second attempt, and just as it was about to enter the net.


Two minutes later Exeter scored. Houghton again had the defence guessing with his tricky footwork out on the left. Marsden could only kick the ball to Barber, who promptly swung it across the field to Scott, who, to the great joy of the crowd netted with a storming first time drive which rattled the net and left Webb a helpless onlooker. In the sixteenth minute Exeter scored again. This time the tall King misplaced a clearance, and Scott, gathering the ball without delay, raced at top speed towards the Albion goal. Whitlow moved up in support, and when Scott finished his spanking run with a low centre Whitlow shot past Webb from close quarters. The deadliness of the City attack was amply demonstrated by those two early goals. The two goals also showed that the defence of the Albion was nothing like as good as that of Exeter. 

Exeter remained on the offensive practically throughout the first half, their moves being mostly inspired by the magnificent play of Houghton. Houghton in fact nearly scored Exeter's third goal just prior to the interval, the ball missing the net by a mere fraction. The teams in view of the poor light changed ends with no interval being taken, and Davies had to be alert to save from Farrell, who had received from Attwood and Thomps on. Higgins had bad luck in failing to score Exeter's third goal, but miskicked in front of goal when the ball bounced awkwardly from a centre by Scott. After this the Exeter halves and forwards beseiged the Brighton goal, and so well conceived and well sustained were the attacks that it seemed amazing that no score resulted. Childs was a splendid pivot for Exeter, and from one of his through passes Whitlow gained possession in the penalty area and King kicked wildly across in front of his own goal to stop the renowned Exeter leader adding to his tally of goals.


Higgins broked away on the left (he was three yards offside) and the linesman on the grandstand side "flagged" to attract the view of the referee, but Mr Bristow allowed play to proceed, and when Higgins finished his swift run with a nice ground pass Whitlow, racing up in support, volleyed the ball home first-time with a shot which Webb could not have seen. Then, in the twenty-fifth minute, Brighton reduced their arrears by means of a penalty kick. Smith survived a challenge by Miller and sped goal wards with the ball. Davies bided his time and then sprang at the ball but missed. Smith stumbled, but went on a few yards and shot against the side netting. The referee adjudged that Davies had fouled Smith and a penalty was awarded, from which a well aimed shot by Wilkins on found the net. A tremendous burst of cheering a minute later signalled a smart goal by Whitlow, who netted in the top corner, and so crowned a grand afternoon's work with his latest "hat-trick." The score reflects the run of the game, absolutely. Exeter were much the more effective side in attack and defence alike and the Brighton goal survived many narrow escapes. The visitors have to thank Webb that the score against them was not heavier. Starting somewhat shakily, the goalkeeper improved, and his fine sense of positional play enabled him to bring off many fine saves. Whitlow led the City forwards brilliantly again, and the latest in his run of "hat-tricks" at St James's Park was of course most popular. He is this season steadily overhauling the Exeter City club's individual scoring record of 25 goals which is shared by several former Grecians. The third goal of Whitlow's and the fourth of Exeter's, which was netted right on time, fairly "brought down the house." Scott showed up very well this afternoon as a forceful, fast, and direct right-winger. Childs dominated the midfield play. 

Exeter City are second in the Southern Section League table, and playing football well worthy of their exalted place. It is hoped they will get still nearer to the top on Saturday, when they are "battle of the giants" indeed. due to meet Brentford at Griffin Park in a match which will be a "battle of the giants" indeed.


All the Exeter players finished fit after Wednesday's match, and the Directors decided that the eleven which did duty then shall be the side to oppose Brentford. 

Friendly Match at Sidmouth Rugby Ground
Thursday, January 19th 1933.

Exeter City opposed Sidmouth Town in an exhibition game, played on the Sidmouth Rugby F. C. ground, on Thursday afternoon, and very quickly attacked. They met with a stout resistance, however, and Burgoyne made several fine saves. Sidmouth then got going, but play was soon taken to their end again, and Poulter opened the scoring from Hurst's pass. Strong attacks by the Grecians were cleared by the home backs and the goalkeeper until Poulter and Hurst scored further goals. Before the teams retired for the interval Connaboy scored Exeter City's fourth goal with a long shot along the ground, which the goalkeeper badly misjudged. Sidmouth won a corner but put the ball behind from the flag kick and at half-time Exeter led by four goals to none. Lock played a fine defensive game for Sidmouth in the second half and Burgoyne brought off many clever saves, but despite this the City could not be denied, and Poulter scored three times in quick succession. In another fast Exeter raid Poulter, with a drive of the "unstoppable" variety, obtained his fifth goal. Lock robbed Angus and took the ball down the field, giving it to Courtney, who scored a goal for Sidmouth.
Result:- Exeter City 8 Sidmouth 1.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>