Match 29
11th February 1933
Third Division
Luton Town v Exeter City
Western League
Exeter City Reserves v Lovell’s Athletic

Bad Day for Exeter-Luton Town Take Their Chances 


Saturday, February 11th 1933.
LUTON TOWN 4  (Alderson Mills Tait 2)
Half-time 1-0.

Luton, proud of their home League record and of their prowess in the Cup, fielded their strongest team against Exeter City to-day in a match of great importance to the Devon club in its stirring bid for promotion.

Luton Town
Kingham Mackey
Kean McGinnigle Fraser
Mills Nelson Tait Alderson Roberts

Referee:- Mr W.E.Russell, of Swindon.

Higgins Houghton Whitlow Kennedy Scott
Barber Angus Clarke
Hughes Gray
Exeter City

This match ended a remarkable run of Exeter successes. It was the City's first defeat since they visited Bristol Rovers on December 3rd. Exeter could not complain of the result. From the start of the game till the end there was only one team in it. Exeter undoubtedly were weakened by the absence of Childs. Luton Town made Exeter appear very inferior. With the exception of one brave effort by Whitlow when the result was safe, the visiting forwards were scarcely ever any trouble to the home defence. The City rearguard played valiantly, skilfully, and vigorously against the magnificent Luton attack, which had speed and thrust. Alderson scored the only goal of the first half after Davies had made many splendid saves. Thirteen minutes after the interval the second goal was scored, by Mills, from Alderson's pass. Sixteen minutes later Tait followed with the third goal from a well judged centre by Fraser, and in the last minute Tait made a lengthy dribble and scored an easy goal as Davies came out.

Exeter City have dropped to third place in Division III (Southern), Brentford retaining the lead and Norwich gaining second place.

Western League
match at St James's Park.

The City's attacking machinery was soon set in motion, and after a corner had been forced Gumm came through to drive a hard shot on to the crossbar. At the other end Howarth grazed the Exeter crossbar from a free kick. Lovells, although not attacking as much as the City, were dangerous in fleeting raids, and Elwell nearly scored for them with a fierce volley which Ince turned over the bar. At half time no goals had been scored. Exeter had nearly all the play when the game restarted, but there was no punch in the forward line. At length the enthusiastic Welshmen in one of their rare attacks took the lead. Hiles shot across the face of the goal and Howarth turned the ball into the net. Exeter's pressure was ultimately rewarded when Hurst, who had gone to centre-forward with Poulter moving to outside left, crashed home an equaliser from Gumm's centre. Lovells were now kept entirely on the defensive, and Hurst scored the winning goal with a shot from a very narrow angle.

    The death is reported of Alf Green, landlord of the " Coach and Horses," Sidwell Street, and a former Exeter City player. Alf Green, an inside forward, joined the Grecians from Rotherham Town shortly before the war. He served with the Army in India, and rejoined Exeter City upon his demobilsation. He continued to play for Exeter City for two or three seasons, and then became prominent in local amateur football circles.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>