Match 30
18th February 1933
Third Division
Exeter City v Newport County
Southern League
Newport County Res. v Exeter City Res.

A Ragged Game-Whitlow in Scoring Mood 


Saturday, February 18th 1933.
EXETER CITY 4  (Whitlow 3 Scott)
Half-time 1-0.

Exeter City.
Gray Hughes
Clarke Childs Barber
Scott Kennedy Whitlow Houghton Hurst

Referee:- Mr A. S. King, of Swindon.

Thomas Bagley Gardiner Gittens Green John Summers Rogers
Charlton Hugh
Newport County.

Exeter were strengthened by the return of Childs, but the inclusion of Stanley Hurst at outside left with Welsby available caused some surprise among the City's following. Newport fielded Gardiner, who is on loan from Lovell's Athletic, at centre-forward, and one very familiar figure in the Newport ranks was Stanley Charlton, the old Exeter and Crystal Palace full-back.

Jimmy Gray captained the Grecians and won the toss. A free kick by Barber for a foul on Houghton was cleared and Newport broke away. Green made ground on the right wing but was stopped by Childs before the move became dangerous. Scott beat Charlton in a race for the ball and his centre was met by Whitlow, but Solly saved close to the post. Another centre by the City outside right was headed in by Hurst, Solly again saving. From Hurst's pass across the goal-mouth Whitlow netted, but was adjudged to be offside. Whitlow and Hurst were using the ball very cleverly, and the County backs made frequent use of the offside trap, which did not please the spectators. The game was very one-sided and it seemed to be only a question of how many goals Exeter would score. After Solly had again distinguished himself with two clever saves Whitlow opened the score in the 27th minute. In the second half Whitlow went on to obtain his "hat-trick," with goals in the eighth and thirtieth minutes, bringing his total for the season up to 29. Then in the last minute Whitlow passed to Scott, who scored with a first-time shot, the ball keeping low and entering the net close to the post. It was a welcome victory by four clear goals, keeping Exeter well in touch with the Southern Section leaders, and yet the spectators were not altogether pleased, for it was a scrappy game against very weak opponents.

Southern League

Southern League match at Somerton Park. Poulter scored for the City Reserves midway through the first half, and Reed equalised from the penalty which was awarded when Lumley was brought down. Miller was injured and retired, but re-appeared after the interval. Welsby, giving a fine display on the left wing, provided two chances from which Higgins and Poulter in quick succession scored, to give Exeter a substantial lead, and scarcely had the ball been centred when Higgins burst through to score Exeter's fourth goal. Rees then scored for Newport.

The Exeter team was: - Ince; Ditchburn, Miller; Keefe, Angus, Connaboy; Gumm, Risdon, Poulter, Higgins, Welsby.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>