Match 32
4th March 1933
Gillingham (h)

City Win a Poor Game Ex-Grecians at St. James's Park 


Saturday, March 4th 1933.
EXETER CITY 2 (Whitlow Welsby)
GILLINGHAM 1 (Armfield)
Half-time City 1 Gillingham 0.

Arthur Childs received a painful thigh injury in the match at Bournemouth last Saturday, and was unable to take his place in Exeter City's XI. Angus, the reserve centre half, was brought in to face Gillingham at St James's Park this afternoon. The improvement in the weather was very welcome, encouraging the attendance of supporters from all parts of East Devon. The Exeter City Military Band, under the conductorship of Mr George Newman, gave a lusty rendering of "Auld Lang Syne" when the Gillingham team stepped on to the field, and Purcell, Armfield, and Holland, the three ex-Grecians in the blue and white uniform of the "Hoppers" certainly could not complain of their reception, the crowd, which numbered seven thousand, cheering them to the echo. The referee, along with the captains, Charlie Miller and George Purcell, posed in the centre of the field for photographs.

Exeter City.
Gray Miller
Clarke Angus Barber
Scott Higgins Whitlow Houghton Welsby

Referee:- Mr E. G. Walliker, of Salisbury.

Liddle Raleigh Nicol Purcell Armfield
Kidd Forbes High
Lester Jackson

Constructive football was rarely seen in this match, although the first half was brisk and often exciting. Exeter attacked first but Gillingham, exploting close passing, were often in the City half during the first twenty-five minutes. High and Liddle by fine play made several openings, but Raleigh missed a perfect scoring chance. Thirty-eight minutes elapsed before Whitlow scored for Exeter, who continued to press heavily until the interval. The City increased their lead five minutes after the restart, Welsby scoring from a centre by Scott. Gillingham's forcing methods met with success in twenty minutes when Armfield, the old City winger, scored with a header from a centre by Liddle.


Gillingham were great spoilers in a scrappy sort of match and upset not only their opponents but the referee's watch, for Mr Walliker whistled for time five minutes too soon. The crowd, however, called his attention to the fact that he was in error, and the match was restarted for a further period. Exeter had some very lucky escapes before they got their goals, but once they got into their stride they showed themselves by far the cleverer team. Unfortunately the City fell away in the second half, and much of the play in this period was unconvincing. Barber played splendidly throughout, whilst Angus came through the game with great credit. The City's victory, although of the narrowest, brings in another two valuable points, and the Grecians' sixth successive win against the Hoppers in competition matches represents a very notable feat. The League position at the top of the Southern Section remains the same with Brentford, Norwich and Exeter all winning.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>