Match 35
25th March 1933
Third Division
Reading v Exeter City
Exeter City Reserves v St James F.C.
29th March 1933
Western League
Torquay United Res. v Exeter City Res.

City Draw "Happy" Houghton's Brilliant Play  


Saturday, March 25th 1933.
READING 2  (McPherson 2)
EXETER CITY 2  (Houghton Angus) Half-time Reading 1 City 0.

The Exeter excursion train had to make a detour from Westbury and continued to Reading via Swindon because of some minor mishap on the line. Consequently there was a loss of time, and the team took the precaution of changing on the train. At Reading West station, which was reached at 2.15 p.m., taxis were waiting to take Exeter City to Elm Park, and when Allan led the Reading team on to the field Miller and his men quickly followed.

Rowe, Richardson;
Johnson, Allan, Barley;
Ritchie, Eaton, Gamble, Oxberry, McPherson.

Referee:- Mr A.J.Brown, of Bristol.

Kennedy, Houghton, Whitlow, Wrightson, Scott;
Barber, Angus, Clarke;
Miller, Hughes;
Exeter City 

Fought out with Cup-tie pace and energy a draw was a fitting result to the encounter between Reading and Exeter City at Elm Park. The attendance was 10,000. Reading disappointed their supporters, for Exeter showed themselves the livelier in attack. Gamble, the new centre-forward from Brentford, was so well shadowed that he had very little scope, while he received indifferent support from the rest of the line, who generally came off second best against the quick tackling of Exeter City. Reading would have done better to have opened the game out more as regards their attacking moves, but their defence was sound, with Barley, Rowe, and Allan conspicuous. Exeter had a forceful leader and a very clever one in Whitlow, but the best forward on the field by far was Houghton. Barber greatly distinguished himself in the half-back line, whilst Miller was a great defender. Reading scored after thirteen minutes, the goal coming somewhat unexpectedly. Miller for once mis-kicked, and when Ritchie centred, McPherson, who was unmarked, took immediate advance of the oppor tunity. Reading held their lead until the interval. Exeter were the more convincing side in the second half and it came as no surprise when after a period of prolonged pressure they got the equalising goal.


Exeter stormed the Reading defence and won a corner. Scott middled to Angus, who headed goalwards. Houghton was there, and with a deft flick of the left foot he directed the ball into the net as only he can do. Then Whitlow, who was almost in the goalmouth, unaccountably skied the ball over the crossbar when a mere touch would have put it in the net. In a retaliatory raid by Reading a splendid high centre by Ritchie was confidently fielded by Davies, and then the brilliant Houghton dazzled all and sundry by dribbling past three Reading defenders to gain a shooting opening. A goal seemed certain but Houghton missed the post by a fraction. Reading then took the lead for the second time in the match, and all against the run of the play. Hughes miskicked, and Eaton sent a nice pass through to McPherson, who, unmarked at the time was in a position to take deliberate aim and score with a drive which cannoned into the net after striking the far post. With twenty-two minutes remaining for play Angus, shooting from twenty yards, had the satisfaction of seeing the ball go through a crowd of players and enter the net via the crossbar, Mellors being apparently unsighted and making no attempt to save.

This was a great battle of two of the Southern Section giants. On two occasions Reading believed themselves to be well on the high road to victory, and twice they were disillusioned. Houghton was the cleverest forward on view, and richly deserved his smart goal.


Being without a League match Exeter City Reserves met the local amateur side, St James's, at the Park this afternoon. The Saints, with whom Jimmy Gumm gained his early experience, are in the First Division of the Exeter and District League. The match was won by the Reserves, 5 goals to 2.

The first and last of these goals were obtained by St James's, and in between Hurst, Poulter, Higgins, Hurst, Hurst scored for the City.

Exeter City Reserves:- Ince; Ditchburn and Lock; Connaboy, Keefe, and Barnes; Gumm, Poulter, Hurst, Higgins, and Courtney.

Western League

At Plainmoor, Torquay
Wednesday, March 29th 1933.

Both sides had their chances early on at Plainmoor. After Gumm had forced Millsom to punch the ball over the bar Avey sent wide from a good opening provided by Davis. Then Davis turned Flavell's header into the net but the whistle had sounded for offside. Higgins wound up a smart Exeter burst on the left by sending inches wide of the goal, and later Millsom saved from Hurst.

Torquay took the lead a few minutes before the interval. Ince made a good save from Davis but Avey gained possession and shot the ball home. Then E.E.Knott nearly scored a second goal for the Magpies with a great shot which Ince tipped over the bar.

Torquay Reserves 1 City Reserves 0.

Kennedy, who was the only Exeter forward to show any ability in the j all important matter of shooting, scored for the Grecians in the second half with a great left-foot drive from outside the penalty area, but Torquay, who were the stronger team throughout, got two more goals and won by 3 to 1.

Bumpy Pitch. 
The football in the second half was little better than a rough and tumble, but the bumpy and uneven state of the pitch was not very helpful to Exeter's short-passing game.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>