Match 36
1st April 1933
Third Division
Exeter City v Norwich City
3rd April 1933
Western League
Bristol City Res. v Exeter City Res.
5th April 1933
Devon Professional Championship
Exeter City v Torquay United



Saturday, April 1st 1933.
EXETER CITY 2  (Houghton Scott)
Half-time City 0 Norwich 1.

Exeter City were faced with the most momentous task of all time at St James's Park this afternoon. Opposed by Norwich City, leaders of their section, Exeter realised that nothing but success would enable the club to remain in the promotion race with a favourable chance. Norwich too were in grim earnest, and so two determined teams were in opposition in this, the most engrossing match of the day. It may not be generally known that today's referee, Mr W. Harper of Stourbridge, officiated at last year's Cup Final, a match in which there was a great deal of controversy over the incident preceding one of Newcastle United's goals.

Exeter City.
Hughes Miller
Clarke Angus Barber
Scott Wrightson Whitlow Houghton Welsby

Referee:- Mr W.P. Harper, of Stourbridge.

Murphy Blakemore Brown Scott Bell
Ramsay Williamson B. Robinson
Smith Hannah
Norwich City.

The largest attendance of the season at St James's Park witnessed a thrilling duel. Honours must be awarded to the respective backs and intermediates, who were fully extended. The visitors' extra height and weight gave them a substantial first half advantage, and they deserved the goal which was scored for them by Bell with a brilliant header from Murphy's long pass, in 15 minutes. Exeter's great second half rally was in marked contrast to their earlier failures, for now, playing towards the east end with the sun and wind behind them, so relentless was their pressure that the equaliser was not long in arriving. Five minutes of this half had gone by when Whitlow tapped the ball forward and Houghton from 25 yards crashed it into the net. It was a marvellous shot, and Robinson was beaten all ends up as the ball flashed high into the top corner of the rigging, a winner all the way and a wonderful goal.


From this point Exeter played with obvious superiority, and raid after raid found them within striking distance. The Norwich men did raise an occasional gallop, but generally the game was fought out in the visitors' half. From the Norwich viewpoint Robinson (R) was the hero of the day, many of his clearances bordering on the im possible, but five minutes from the end Scott (Exeter) took over the ball in his stride from Whitlow and rounded Smith to shoot the winning goal with a magnificent rising cross-drive. Scott's drive, and express shot flashing into the top of the net just inside the near post left Robinson helpless. The cheering from the packed crowd was deafening, and reminiscent of the cup-ties of 1931 and the old City v Argyle "derbies" at St James's Park. It was a most inspiring finish, worthy of the occasion, and demonstrated the Grecians' recuperative powers after being a goal down at the half time interval. The way is now clear for promotion. Today's match was nothing less than a epic contest, and all the performers pulled their weight.

Monday, April 3rd 1933.

After leading by the only goal until 20 minutes from time Exeter City Reserves were beaten by 3 to 1 by Bristol City Reserves, at Ashton Gate. Hurst scored the Grecians' goal, and Bristol's equaliser came by way of a penalty which should not have been given. Robinson was keeping the home centre-forward off while Ince was about to clear a high ball. If anything Exeter should have been awarded a free kick because the Bristol player was the guilty party. Exeter had by far the better of the game, and a shot by Poulter struck the home goalkeeper on the shoulder and rebounded over the goal line, but instead of the expected corner the referee gave a goal lick to Bristol. The referee in fact made several incorrect decisions.

Wednesday, April 5th 1933.

From the first kick of the Devon Professional Championship match at St James's Park on Wednesday evening it was evident to the two thousand spectators that the Grecians were not taking the game at all seriously. They played at rather less than half-speed throughout, and quite rightly failed to take any risks in regard to injuries which may have jeopardised their chance of promotion. Never has been seen greater conservation of energy on a football field than Exeter displayed in this match, and this explains why the Grecians were beaten by three goals to one.
City:- Davies; Gray and Hughes; Clarke, Angus, and Barber;Scott, Wrightson, Whitlow, Houghton, and Welsby.
Torquay:- Maggs; Tennant and Tapp; Anderson, Martin, and Gray; Birkett, Orr, Stabb, Hutchinson, and Bird.

Davies should have saved Torquay's first goal, headed into the net by Stabb from Bird's centre. Birkett and Stabb scored further goals for Torquay in the second half, and five minutes from the end Whitlow headed through from a centre by Scott.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>