Match 41
22nd April 1933
Third Division
Aldershot v Exeter City
Exeter City Reserves v Friernhay
24th April 1933
Yeovil & Petters United v Exeter City Res.

Defeat at Aldershot Ruins Promotion Hopes 


Saturday, April 22nd 1933.
ALDERSHOT 4 (Proud Smithson 2 Lane)
EXETER CITY 1  (Childs)
Half-time 2-0.

Exeter City were making their first visit to Aldershot today, for the team with the military sounding name was only elected to take the place of the ill-fated Thames Association last May. Aldershot had previously played in the London Combination. Aldershot hoped to renew their giant-killing exploits but Exeter were equally hopeful of making a creditable first appearance in the soldiers' stronghold. It was realised that a win to-day was essential if the Grecians were to remain possible candidates for promotion.

Wade McDougall
Gerrard Middleton Lawson
Proud Thom Smithson Lane Fishlock

Referee:- Mr F.W.Reeve, of Devonport.

Webb Houghton Whitlow Kennedy Hurst Barber Childs Clarke
Miller Gray
Exeter City.

The Aldershot ground, situated in a public park, is very compact, and will not hold more than ten thousand spectators. Flower beds behind both goals lend a picturesque appearance, being somewhat reminiscent of the old "flower pot stand" at St James's Park, of many years ago. Covered accommodation at Aldershot is scant and is limited to a small grandstand. On the popular bank Army kit boxes and long forms have been utilised in order to provide terraces. The Exeter City. team, accompanied by Captain F.Hunter, Mr F.Parkhouse, and Mr S.H. Thomas, reached Aldershot by train in good time for the match, but Mr W.McDevitt, the manager, was not among the party. It was thought that he left Exeter this morning on a scouting expedition, and his destination was Birmingham.

Although the weather was fine the crowd did not number more than five thousand. Miller beat his fellow-countryman, Robb, with the coin, and the game commenced with Exeter swarming to the attack.


Both sides swung the ball about freely and played fast football, which was slightly in favour of Aldershot. Webb was a dangerous raider for Exeter, but several chances were wasted by the inside forwards. Five minutes before the interval Proud score a fine goal for the "Soldiers," and three minutes later Smithson added a second. After the interval Exeter made desperate efforts to save at least one point, but Aldershot defended well and in turn attacked with more skill than Exeter had shown. Midway through the second half Lane and Smithson emulated the feat of Proud and Smithson earlier on, and scored within a period of two minutes of each other. Five minutes from the finish Childs with a penalty for hands by McDougall, scored for Exeter.


Not a player on the Exeter side played well. Most of them played very badly. The Grecians showed no fight in the second half, and the majority of the team performed as if it were a practice match. Houghton was the best of the forwards, but this means little. The hardest working player in the Exeter team was Clarke, but on this form the City created a very poor impression on their first visit to Aldershot. The crowd wondered how the team ever looked like getting so near to winning the Southern Section championship, and for so wondering the crowd could be excused!


The Reserves beat Friernhay by 2 to 1 in a friendly at St James's Park. The attendance was six hundred. Higgins gave Exeter City Reserves the lead with a brilliant shot, after Poulter had just put one over the bar, and a good header by Allison, of Friernhay, and an ex-Grecian, was header over the bar by Angus. Thorn later scored for the Friars and Courtney for the City.

Western League Match
Monday, April 24th 1933.


At the Huish Ground, Yeovil. The "Glovers" gave a very moderate display and appeared leg-weary. Day, who was not expected to play again this season, turned out, but his performance emphasised that he is not yet fully fit.

Day Terry
Gibson Farmer Parkin
Hodder Anderson Lewis McNeil Murley

Referee:- Mr A.A.Clarke.

Courtney Higgins Poulter Wrightson Gumm
Connaboy Angus Robinson
Hughes Ditchburn
Exeter Reserves

Exeter attacked strongly in the early stages and opened the score after 17 minutes when Wrightson beat Jones with a good shot. The Yeovil forwards were weak, and several fine centres by Murley were wasted by the men in the middle. Exeter's lead was increased in a further ten minutes by Higgins, from Courtney's pass. Hodder three minutes before half-time reduced Yeovil's deficit direct from a free kick against Angus for fouling Alderson. Higgins, Poulter and Courtney scored for Exeter after the interval, and Lewis after striking the bar twice, replied for Yeovil.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>