Match 43
29th April 1933
Third Division
Exeter City v Queens Park Rangers
1st May 1933
Charlie Miller Benefit
Exeter City v Plymouth Argyle
3rd May 1933
Western League
Exeter City Reserves v Bristol City Reserves
Alf Matthews Benefit
Plymouth Argyle v Exeter City


Revised Forward Line Plays Brilliant Football

Saturday, April 29th 1933.

Half-time 2-0.

While Exeter City were toiling laborously against a very moderate Aldershot team on Wednesday evening Brentford assured themselves of promotion by winning their home game against Brighton. It must be admitted that Brentford have deserved the honour, for they have maintained consistently good form while their nearest rivals have faltered. On their form of two months ago Exeter would have beaten Aldershot with some goals to spare. But Exeter City then and now are greatly different propositions, and the forward line which represented the club on Wednesday is not good enough in at least three positions. For the last home match of the season Gumm, Wrightson and Whitlow replaced Scott, Higgins, and Poulter.

Exeter City: Davies; Gray, Miller; Clarke, Angus, Barber; Gumm, Wrightson, Whitlow, Houghton, Hurst.

Rangers: Beecham; Barrie, Hall; Adlam, Armstrong, Goodier; Marcroft, Blackman, Wiles, Jones, Brown.

After their mediocre performance on Wednesday evening Exeter City made a welcome return to their best form, and Queens Park Rangers were outplayed. There were no weak links, and the revised forward line functioned admirably. Angus excelled in a strong half-back line, while Wrightson played his best match since coming to Exeter. Wrightson has taken a while to settle down, but this afternoon he introduced many deft and clever touches and his goal was brilliantly obtained. The Rangers were a poor side, and were too inclined to play the man instead of the ball. Hall was particularly guilty in this respect, and was lucky not to come under the notice of the referee. The margin in Exeter's favour must have been larger but for the Rangers' tactics of stopping the home forwards at any cost.


Exeter's first goal, in the 25th minute, was netted by Clarke with a penalty kick given against Barrie for tripping Whitlow within a few yards of the Rangers' goal. Three minutes later Houghton was fouled by Hall, also within the penalty area, but as the ball was retained by Houghton no penalty was awarded. It was a wise decision on the part of the referee, for Houghton passed to Wrightson, who easily beat Beecham with a hard drive to the bottom corner of the net. As a result of today's matches Brentford are top, Exeter second and Norwich City third.


    Harry Poulter, who joined Exeter City at the beginning of the season from Sunderland, has been notified that he will be offered terms for retention next season. He did well in the reserve team against Yeovil in the week, playing a notable part in a success which practically meant the acquisition of the Western League championship by Exeter. 

The City Reserves have only one more game to play in this League, namely against Bristol City Reserves on Wednesday. As this fixture is to take place at St James's Park, the Grecians should win and thereby ensure the title. Exeter City Reserves are runners up to Bath City in the Southern League championship.


    The Exeter City Military Band introduced a touch of humour into the proceedings on Wednesday evening. They struck up a popular refrain referring to the blowing of bubbles, and Exeter City's promotion bubble burst very completely shortly afterwards!

Chas.Miller's Benefit

Monday, May 1st 1933.
EXETER CITY 3  (Clarke Wrightson Hurst)
PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 2 (Melaniphy Roberts)
Half-time City 1 Argyle 0.

In the past the Devonshire rivals, Plymouth Argyle and Exeter City, have opposed one another in numerous stirring and strenuous games, which although in some cases lacking in science have never lacked in energy and endeavour. On Monday evening at St James's Park, the two teams were in a more subdued mood, but the quality of the football did not suffer as a consequence. In fact the game, which was in aid of Charlie Miller's benefit, was always entertaining, and a delightful exhibition did credit to both teams. Nearly three thousand spectators watched the match, and about £100 was taken at the gate.

City: Davies; Gray, Miller; Clarke, Angus, Barber; Gumm, Wrightson, Whitlow, Houghton, Hurst.

Referee:- Mr C.W.Goad, of Exeter. Linesmen:- Messrs T.H.Curnow and Bell.

Argyle:- Stanbury; T.Black, Rae; Mackay, Pullen, Hardie; J.W.Demellweek, Melaniphy, Roberts, Leslie, S.Black.

The Argyle opened with a promising attack and Mackay shot across the goalmouth, where Sammy Black met the ball and drove hard for goal, Davies saving grandly on the line. Exeter retaliated and Rae headed out a centre from Gumm. A great one-handed save by Stanbury from Whitlow prevented the Argyle from falling into arrears, and when the Argyle attacked Miller, as was only fitting in his benefit match, made a number of well executed and timely clearances in his usual stylish manner. Miller has in fact gained his not inconsiderable reputation as a back of style and class, rather than as a hefty defender who clears his lines with enormous kicks and who rushes in to tackle "where angels fear to tread." Miller plays "cat and mouse" with the man opposing him, and usually wins. He delays his challenge until by crafty positioning he forces his opponent into a situation where it is impossible to centre the ball, and when he has his opponent wondering what to do next Miller nips in and secures the ball.


A masterly clearance by Davies from Roberts, who drove in at point blank range, earned the biggest cheer from the crowd so far, but a bigger one was raised when Exeter took the lead, ten minutes from the interval. Rae handled the ball from Gumm's centre, and Clarke beat Stanbury with a fast shot from the ensuing penalty kick. There was no decline in the standard of play when the game started in the second half, and each goal underwent narrow escapes before Exeter added to their lead. This second goal was a beauty, Wrightson, after beating both the Argyle backs on the edge of the penalty area crashed the ball into the net well wide of Stanbury. Plymouth did not relish this second setback, and for a time the onlookers were treated to something of the old "Devon Derby" type of game. The Pilgrims, infusing more life into their game, were rewarded by a goal, scored by Melaniphy from S. Black's pass, after excellent constructive work by Leslie.


Wrightson and Whitlow both struck the framework of the Argyle goal in keen Exeter attacks, and then Plymouth, advancing by means of a rapid inter-passing movement, levelled the scores. Roberts, in the unaccustomed position of centre-forward, received from Melaniphy in front of the Exeter goal and beat Davies with a ground shot. The fight for the lead ended in Exeter's favour with Hurst heading a neat goal from Gumm's centre twelve minutes before the end.

City Reserves Champions

Bristol City Reserves Beaten at St James's Park
Wednesday, May 3rd 1933.

EXETER CITY RESERVES 5  (Poulter 2 Hurst 2 Angus)
BRISTOL CITY RESERVES 4 (Donaldson 2 Reed Cainey)
Half-time Exeter 1 Bristol 2.

Staging a brilliant recovery, Exeter City Reserves, on Wednesday evening, gained a championship that seemed to be slipping away. They defeated Bristol City Reserves in a thrilling and exciting match by the odd goal of nine and thereby assured themselves of the title. Unfortunately Robinson pulled a thigh muscle just before half time and took no further part in the game.

City Reserves: Ince; Ditchburn, Hughes; Connaboy, Angus, Robinson; Gumm, Kennedy, Poulter, Higgins, Hurst.

Bristol Reserves:- Pickett; Knox, Turner; King, Farr, Hall; Bridge, Sharp, Reed, Donaldson, Cainey.

Early play did not suggest an Exeter success, and Bristol in fact led by 3 goals to 1 at one stage of the game.

The Grecians, however, played with great determination, and with Kennedy in brilliant form at inside right, aroused enthusiasm from the crowd, which numbered just over 3,000, by a thrilling closing rally.

Bristol opened the scoring through Donaldson with a ground shot, from Cainey's pass, in the first ten minutes. Excellent work by Kennedy led to Poulter equalising, but Reed regained the lead for the Robins. Shortly before half-time the accident to Robinson, in a skirmish close to the touch-line, occurred, Ambulance attention being required, and the player having to leave the field. Further disaster befell the Grecians in the second half when Ince misjudged a shot by Donaldson from 30 yards' range, the ball going into the net for Bristol's third goal. Hurst and Angus, the latter from a penalty, placed Exeter on terms again.

Great excitement then prevailed, and another goal by Hurst, from Connaboy's clever pass, was negatived when Cainey scored for the visitors, but in a last thrilling rally Exeter stormed to attack the Bristol goal once more, and Poulter won the game for the City and with it the championship of the League.

Alf Matthews Benefit 

Plymouth Argyle had their revenge on Exeter City (first team) at Home Park on the same evening, when they defeated the Grecians by five clear goals.

The match was played for the benefit of Alf Matthews, the Argyle captain for the occasion, and of course a one-time Grecian. The attendance was 3,000, and the amount taken at the gate came to £125. 7s.6d.

Argyle:- Stanbury; Roberts, Rae; Mackay, Pullen, Hardie; Matthews, Bird, Melaniphy, Leslie, S.Black.

City: Davies; Gray, Miller; Clarke, Childs, Barber; Scott, Wrightson, Whitlow, Houghton, Courtney.

Both sides gave a polished exhibition, but the Pilgrims played with greater understanding. The goalscorers were Melaniphy (2), Black, Gray, who deflected a shot from Bird into his own net, and Leslie.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>