Match 44
6th May 1933
Southend United (a)

Devon Senior Cup Final
At St James’ Park
Devon General v Dartmouth United.

City Runners-Up 


Header by Houghton Wins the Match

Saturday, May 6th 1933.

EXETER CITY 2  (Poulter Houghton)
Half-time Southend 0 City 1.

Requiring but one point to secure the runners-up position, Exeter City journeyed to Southend today without their leading goalscorer, Fred Whitlow, who had to cry off because of a groin injury which was sustained on Wednesday evening at Home Park, Plymouth. The weather was beautifully fine but not too hot for football, and a large crowd of Southend's supporters was attracted to the ground at the Kursaal, the presence of Bungay, the new centre-forward who was transferred during the week from Huddersfield Town, giving a special interest to the game. The crowd numbered 8,000.

Whelan Robinson
Dixon Wilson Donovan
Barnett Jones Bungay Pike Clenshaw

Referee:- Mr A.S.King, of Swindon..

Hurst Houghton Poulter Wrightson Gumm
Barber Angus Clarke
Miller Gray

On the play in this, the last match of the 1932-33 season, Exeter City well deserved to win, and the points gained make them runners up to Brentford in the championship. Southend United showed to a greater advantage in the first half, but the City forwards were the more skilful. Their first goal was well worked for, with Poulter supplying the finishing touch.

Southend tried hard to equalise, but apart from one effort by Jones they never appeared like to. Miller and Gray were sound defenders for Exeter. Exeter dominated the play after the interval, and with better luck in the matter of finishing would have increased their lead. As it was Southend equalised through Jones.

The City lost no time in retrieving their lost fortunes, and Gumm could claim a big share in the restoration of the lead to the team from the "Ever-Faithful." Gumm dribbled up the wing with the ball seemingly glued to his toes, eluded Robinson, and hooked the leather into the middle. Moore ran out to save but could not reach the ball and Houghton headed into the empty net.

Saturday 6th May 1933

Since the competition for the Devon Cup was started forty four years ago it has been won only once by a team from East Devon. That was in the 1925-26 season when Friernhay won it.

The record of East Devon has now been improved upon, for to-day at St James's Park, in the final tie between Devon General (Exeter) and Dartmouth United, whose team included Cyril Hemingway, the former Exeter City professional, at centre-forward, the trophy has again found a resting place in East Devon. At half-time the scores were level at one goal all, and Goldsworthy in the last five minutes won the game and the Cup for the 'Busmen.

Devon General 2
Dartmouth United 1.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>