Match 07
22nd September 1934
Third Division
Coventry City v Exeter City
& Southern League
Exeter City Reserves v Plymouth Argyle Res.
24th September 1934
Southern League Cup 1st Round
Bristol Rovers Reserves v Exeter City Reserves

Injuries Dis-organise the Team in Second Half

September 22nd 1934.

Coventry City 1 Exeter City 1.

Exeter's opponents, a big, hefty, and upstanding combination, lost promotion last season because their defence failed. This year their rearguard appears to be better equipped, for three goals were all that had been conceded up to this afternoon. Exeter are regarded as Coventry's "bogey" team, and it was on account of this that the supporters of the home club were not over-confident as to the outcome of today's match. The conditions were decidedly unfavourable at Coventry, for a strong and persistent drizzle was accompanied by a keen wind, and the rain was at times blowing across the field at almost gale force. Considering the unfavourable elements, therefore, a crowd of 10,000 was very satisfactory. Miller won the toss.

Brown Bisby
Baker Davison Boileau
Birtley Lauderdale Bourton Jones White

Referee:- Mr A.Jewell, of London.

Dryden Dudley Hurst Wrightson Scott
Lewis Angus Clarke
Miller Gray

Exeter City will never have to fight harder for a point than at Coventry this afternoon. A strenuous encounter ended in a draw of one goal all, and the exchanges teemed with thrilling and hectic incidents. Playing magnificent football, Exeter made a great start, and took the lead after 25 minutes. During these early stages Exeter were so well on top that a goal by them was almost inevitable. And the inevitable happened. A dazzling and speedy attack led to Hurst receiving well inside the penalty area. Hurst, covered by two opponents, unselfishly passed to Scott, who was unmarked. It was a great piece of football on the part of Hurst, for the Coventry defence was unprepared for the move, and Scott, taking the pass in his stride, closed in and drove the ball past Pearson with a fast rising shot from a very narrow angle. Exeter's speedy raiding was the feature of the game, and it was not until about ten minutes from the interval that the Coventry team were able to mount a serious attack.


With the dangerous Bourton as the spearhead Coventry now began to threaten the Exeter goal, and they attacked desperately. Their moves lacked the class of Exeter's, but all their forwards were dashing and aggressive. The crowd cheered lustily when the ball was landed in the Exeter net by Bourton, but their delight gave way to chagrin when the referee disallowed it and gave the Grecians a free kick inside the penalty area. Bourton was well offside, however, when he headed through a centre from Birtley, and the referee's decision was the correct one. Hurst and Scott had powerful drives saved by Pearson, and at the other end Chesters twice in rapid successi on kept out shots from Bourton at almost point-blank range. Then Gray made a dramatic clearance to dispossess Bourton when the burly Coventry leader was clean through.
Half-time: Coventry 0 Exeter City 1.


The score at half-time was a fair reflex of the opening half, and Exeter's early form was well worth the goal scored by Scott. In fact nothing finer has been displayed by the Grecians since the great promotion bid of two years ago. Coventry were rattled and upset by the speed and directness of Exeter's football, but were dangerous in occasional bursts, and it was at those times that Exeter's strong defence and quick-tackling half backs came to the rescue. Coventry resumed in the second half with aggressive intent, and with the wind and rain in their favour. Exeter were hard pressed and Miller saved a certain goal when he dashed across and robbed Jones, in the act of shooting.


The Exeter attack had to be changed owing to an injury being sustained by Dudley, who swapped places with Dryden. Then more trouble befell the gallant Grecians, for Miller was injured and forced to leave the field. With ten men and a half-fit Dudley the City offered stout resistance to a Coventry side which was now continuously on the attack, and Chesters made a number of clever and daring saves before the skipper made a welcome return to the field.


By way of a diversion Exeter carried play to the enemy's camp, and Dryden, now at inside-left, surprised the home defence with a cunning crossfield pass to the right. Scott moved in towards goal but Pearson timed his advance perfectly and cleared with a big kick to touch. The home team were not to be denied however, and twenty minutes from the end scored a deserved equaliser. The trickiness of Lauderdale paved the way. After dribbling past two opponents he passed perfectly to White, whose centre was so well placed that Bourton had the easiest task in the world to drive the ball past Chesters. Exeter's effectiveness was considerably curtailed because both Miller and Dudley were feeling the strain of painful injuries. Bourton tried to dribble his way through and was hauled down just outside the penalty area. The free kick, by Baker, was directed towards the corner of the goal, but Chesters dived to the ball and cleared in grand style. Play became very rough in the final chapter, and Boileau was sent off the field five minutes from the end. Boileau's dismissal was the outcome of a skirmish near the touch-line on the far side of the field, and the incident so annoyed the crowd that they booed the referee unceasingly. It did appear in fact that the dismissal of Boileau was harsh treatment, because the tussle which caused the referee to take the extreme action was no worse than others which have occured during the course of the game.

Southern League

Playing in a Southern League match at Exeter the Argyle won the toss and defended the St James's Road end, having the advantage of a strong wind.

City Reserves:- Davies; Lock, W.H.Smith; Keefe, Webb, McClure; F.Smith, Risdon, Poulter, McArthur, Tierney.

Argyle Reserves:- Harper; Forrest, T. Black; Pullen, McNeil, Bungay; Grozier, Briggs, Clark, Simpson, Rich. McNeil,

Exeter's opening play created a favourable impression, for there was a keenness and co-operation in both the defence and attack, against which the Plymothians did not shape any too well. Tierney was especially clever and full of tricks, but several times he was brought down unfairly when threading his way past the Argyle defenders. Forrest was the chief offender, and there was a flurry of fists between him and McArthur when Tierney was deliberately tripped. At half time nothing had been scored. McArthur in the second half headed a copybook goal from Risdon's centre, the attack having been cleverly developed by McClure. With only five minutes remaining Clark scored for Plymouth, and worse was to follow for Exeter, Simpson scoring with time fast running out. Exeter thus lost a game which they should have won with ease.

Monday, September 24th 1934.

City Reserves Lose by a Penalty


Bristol Rovers Reserves were extremely lucky to beat Exeter City Reserves by 1 goal to 0 in the Southern League Chellenge Cup at Eastville on Monday.

The goal scored by Prout from a penalty kick midway through the first half was in the nature of a gift. The referee did not see the incident, which was a case of handling by an Exeter back. It was only when the Bristol players attracted the attention of the official in charge to a linesmen waving his flag that the referee consulted his colleague and then awarded a spot-kick.

Exeter More Dangerous.

Prior to this Exeter had made some dashing attacks, and Risdon and Poulter had both struck a goalpost with hard shots, the home custodian in each case being obviously well beaten. The Rovers may have done more of the attacking in the second half, but their forwards were never as dangerous as the Exeter five. Tierney played cleverly and daintily on the left wing, but had no luck with several shots and centres.

Webb Outstanding.

At centre half for Exeter Webb was outstanding. Besides doing his usual "policeman" role on the opposing centre forward, he was always alert to the needs of his own forwards, and Davies did not receive anything like the number of shots to deal with as Johnstone did in the Rovers goal. Lock and W.Smith were sound at full-back but were too prone to readily concede corners. The shooting by both sets of forwards was weak with the result that the game, taken all round, was of the uneventful variety.

Exeter Reserves: Davies; Lock, W.Smith; Keefe, Webb, McClure; F.Smith, Risdon, Poulter, McArthur, and Tierney.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>