Match 10
6th October 1934
Gillingham (a)

Western League
Lovell’s Athletic (h)

Winning Goal Scored Five Minutes Before Time

Saturday, October 6th 1934.
Gillingham 2 Exeter City 1.

A goal five minutes before the end of the match prevented Exeter City from taking a point today, the home side winning by 2 to 1 and breaking the spell which has existed in Exeter's favour at Priestfield Road for a number of years. Chesters played very well in the Exeter goal and Gray was a fine and reliable defender. In the forward line Scott was a fast and dangerous raider, while Tierney and McArthur were a crafty pair on the left wing. Doncaster did not figure in the Gillingham side, but news of one ex Grecian was that Andy Higgins has been transferred to Notts County from Newport.

Gillingham. Harvey; Wiggins and Lester; Randle, Barrie, and Kidd; Crompton, Raleigh, Nicol, Orr, and Williams.

Exeter City. Chesters; Gray and Smith; Clarke, Angus, and Lewis; Scott, Wrightson, Hurst, McArthur, and Tierney. Referee:- Mr J.H. Whittle, of Worcester.

Considering the Gillingham had Barrie injured in the first five minutes and had to put him at outside-left they did indeed to beat Exeter City at Priestfield Road. very well There was never much in it, but Gillingham set the pace at the outset, and were somewhat unlucky when Clarke kicked clear a shot by Raleigh, with Chesters powerless to save. But to offset this, when the City put in a prolonged spell of attack later in the game Harvey deprived them of an almost certain goal when he flung himself full length to turn a rocket-like shot by Scott around the post. Smith was cautioned by the referee for fouling Crompton in a general melee in the Exeter goalmouth. This occurred when the ball came across from Barrie, who was now at outside left, and Chesters dropped to smother the shot. Something like a Rugby scrum developed and Chesters was kicked by Crompton. Barrie, the injured player, headed a simple goal from Crompton's centre, a few minutes before the interval.


Play in the second half was exciting if not very skilful, and after eight minutes McArthur scored for Exeter. The struggle for supremacy then became tense, and Harvey saved Gillingham more than once by his brilliant goalkeeping. Eventually Barrie paved the way for another goal to the "Hoppers." This time, and only five minutes from the finish, he centred to Raleigh, who met the ball as it came across and sent a wonderful right foot shot into the top of the net.

Western League

The junior Grecians have had a thin time of it so far and they met with a further defeat at the Park this afternoon when the Newport works team, Lovell's Athletic, beat them by 2 to 1 in a Western League match. Heavy rain in the morning and more in the afternoon rendered the underfoot conditions very unpleasant. Clarke scored for Lovell's after ten minutes despite the fact that Exeter had done nearly all the attacking. Later on Hoyle, who was the City's best forward, created a chance for Poulter, who centre was saved by Boots, but as the goalkeeper jumped for the ball so did Dryden, the ball and the 'keeper being bundled into the net together. Hiles scored the winning goal for Newport in the second half.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>