Match 33
16th February 1935
Gillingham (h)

Saturday, February 16th 1935.

Without by any means touching their best form, Exeter City were far too good for Gillingham at St James's Park today. The Grecians won by two clear goals, both obtained by Wrightson, but the margin on the general run of the game should have been much greater. The game was spoiled by the prevailing high wind, which made ball control difficult and accurate passing almost impossible. Wrightson ought to have completed a "hat trick," but missed with a penalty kick. All three Exeter half backs were good, and Keefe, making his first appearance in the Southern Section, did quite well, although prone to mistiming the ball occasionally in the second half. Gray and Miller were again in fine fettle, especially in the first half when kicking against the wind.

Gray Miller
Risdon Keefe Angus
J.Scott Wrightson Poulter Tierney Dryden

Referee:- Mr J. H. Whittle. Doncaster

Baldwin Vallance Anstiss Syred
Kidd Barrie Randle
Lester Marsden

Miller was beaten in the toss, and Gillingham lined up at the St James's Road end in the opening half, with the advantage of a high wind which at times almost reached gale force. There was a higher attendance than usual, numbering just over 5,000, and the two old "Grecians," from the crowd when they ran out with the rest of the "Hoppers." " Holland and Doncaster were accorded a great welcome In spite of the fact that they enjoyed the bulk of the play, aided as they were by the wind, in the first half Gillingham crossed over a goal down, and fared no better afterwards. Exeter had that little  extra push that produces goals and Gillingham from this defeat are now in a desperate position near the bottom end of the table, as, indeed, the City were in September and October. Gillingham ruined many fine openings by erratic shooting. At the other end Holland fell while clearing and Wrightson was in position to secure the ball and open the scoring. Exeter were on top by the time the interval arrived, but spoiling their chances by shooting wildly, over the bar and wide several times.

Whatever chance Gillingham had of saving the points in the first half disappeared completely after the interval, when Exeter, now with the wind in their favour, crowded on all sail and never gave Holland and his backs a moment's peace. In the first five minutes Chesters caught a dropping shot from the speedy Doncaster and later watched a drive by Baldwin fly past the post, but apart from that very little was seen of the Gillingham attack. Twenty-three minutes from the end Exeter, although not showing the cohesion expected of them in view of recent performances, met with further success. Hurst got to a loose ball parallel with the goal and centred. Holland was at fault in dealing with the centre, and he did not better than to tamely punch the ball over his head to Wrightson, who, standing right in the shadow of the goal, had the easiest of tasks in heading into the empty net. Tierney, moving in with a delightful dribble, was fouled by Lester only a few yards from goal. A penalty was awarded, but Wrightson, who took the kick, shot straight at Holland. Wrightson made another attempt from the rebound, but this time shot wide.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>