Match 31
17th February 1934
Gillingham (a)

Southern League
Bristol Rovers Res. (h)

Saturday, February 17th 1934.


The City team was changed in two departments. The injury sustained by Whitlow last week meant a revision of the attack, where Hurst was selected at centre forward and Jack Barnes at outside left. Hurst was thus returning to the position which he occupied in both his amateur and earlier professional days. A crowd of about 6,000 saw Clarke win the toss for Exeter, and then there was an unexpected interruption, Chesters having to leave the field to change his blue jersey for a green one in order to avoid it clashing with the home team's colours, blue shirts and white knickers.

Gillingham. Holland; Forbes and Gellatley; Bethell, Collins, and Kidd; Mills, Scott, Raleigh, Mooney, and Liddle.

Exeter City. Chesters; Gray and Miller; Clarke, Webb, and Hardie; Scott, Wrightson, Hurst, Houghton, and Bares.

There was little to choose between these teams, who put up a speedy and exciting game on the Priestfield Road ground. Gillingham were a goal behind at the interval, and afterwards they were without the assistance of Forbes, who had been injured midway through the first half. So that their feat in retrieving one point was creditable. Both goals were soon in danger from the start, and Wrightson missed a good chance for the City. Then Chesters turned aside a powerful shot from Raleigh that looked a goal all the way. The ensuing corner was well placed, but Gray headed clear and Exeter again took up the running. Both Forbes and Holland were injured in one desperate scramble in the Gillingham penalty area, and Exeter piled on the pressure, Wrightson scoring from Scott's centre. With Forbes too badly injured to come out for the second half Gillingham played four forwards. There was not much punch in their handicapped attack, and Exeter never looked in any danger. Holland, the former City goalkeeper, was in masterly form against his old club, keeping out numerous shots, headers, and centres, and eventually Gillingham rallied, Liddle equalising in a scrimmage ten minutes from time. Exeter nearly snatched a late victory when Hardie sent in a fierce shot which deserved a goal, but again Holland barred the way.


At St James's Park in cold weather, Exeter City Reserves opened the scoring through Jasper, who was later injured, and Gill equalised for the Rovers after the
City Reserves. Davies; Hughes and Lock; Angus, Childs, and Barber; F.Jasper, Risdon, Boundy, S.Barnes, and A.Flood.

Rovers Reserves. Windsor; Terry and Lewis; Golledge, Routledge, and McArthur; Tadman, Gill, Smith, Taylor, and Watson.

Referee:- Mr V.W.Curtis, of Plymouth.

Risdon tested Windsor following a corner taken by Jasper, but the goalkeeper was safe. Childs followed suit with a long drive, which went over the bar. Davies saved from Smith and McArthur, afterwards running out to the edge of the penalty area to kick clear from Smith. Exeter were then awarded a penalty for a foul, but Childs missed the goal with his spot kick. Jasper gave Exeter the lead shortly before the interval, although he had previously been lamed in a tackle. In view of the possibility of the light failing the teams changed over with only a short interval. Lewis and Terry, for persistent fouling, were spoken to by the referee. Risdon then fouled Lewis, but was then injured in another fierce tackle, and Gill scored a goal, which was deserved on the run of play. 


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>