Match 05
14th September 1935
Third Division
Exeter City v Coventry City

Exeter and District League
Tiverton v Exeter City Reserves


Coventry's Two Quick Goals Decide

Saturday, September 14th 1935.

A weakened Exeter City team was no match for Coventry City this afternoon, and the Grecians, outpointed by all phases of game, were beaten by three goals to one. the Scoring twice in the opening minutes, the visitors never lost their grip on the game, and the margin of their victory was in no way flattering. Gray, Risdon, Chesters, and Dunn were the pick of Exeter's team, but there were too many weaknesses. Ebdon was a great trier and a great fighter all the time, and was unfortunate in that his debut in the first team was made when the side was so completely outclassed.

Gray Lowton
Risdon Angus Fantham
J.Scott Dunn R.Ebdon McArthur McArdle

Referee:- Mr F. J. Lowe.

Fitton Jones Bourton Lauderdale McNestry
Boileau Mason Frith
Bisby Brown

Striking confirmation of the bad luck which has dogged Exeter City's footsteps since the opening match was to be found in the fact that for today's match the team had to make their third centre-forward change. Against Aldershot the attack was led by Poulter; against Watford it was Hurst; against Swindon Town and Watford away McArthur filled the position, and today, R.Ebdon, a go-ahead amateur from Ottery St Mary, filled the role. Just over eight thousand spectators saw the Grecians start from the top end, against the wind, and the first incident of note was when Lowton doubled back to check McNestry by kicking the ball into touch. The game shifted to midfield but only temporarily, for Coventry advanced to take the lead two minutes after the commencement, and quickly went further ahead. They cut through on the right, and with Lowton failing to reach McNestry's pass Bourton fastened on to the ball. He controlled it well and ran on to beat Chesters with a low oblique drive. It was all Coventry now, and with their forwards swarming into the Exeter half Gray and Lowton were "chasing shadows." Chesters had to gather a fast high shot from Lauderdale and a dangerous volley from Jones. There was no holding the visitors, and with the home defence in a tangle Lauderdale swerved round the advancing Chesters to stab the ball into the empty net from point-blank range.


The City could do nothing right, being hopelessly outclassed by a cleverer, faster, and better side. The two goals lead did not flatter Coventry, who would have been three up had it not been for a miraculous save by Chesters from Bourton, when the centre forward was clean through. Exeter's defensive weakness was on the left flank, with Lowton frequently outpaced and outmanoeuvred by McNestry, and Fantham scarcely getting into the game at all. The City attack, with passes going astray against the wind, made many mistakes, and only Ebdon, a great trier, caused the Coventry defence any trouble. Bourton was cautioned by the referee for deliberately fouling Gray just before half-time. With the conditions in their favour after the interval Exeter were seen to greater advantage and McArthur eventually reduced the arrears, but fifteen minutes from the finish Exeter's fate was finally settled when Fitton scored Coventry's third goal.

Exeter and District League

There was a dramatic start to the Exeter and District League match at The Elms this afternoon, Tiverton breaking through to score twice in the first five minutes. Rowe then added a third goal after Kirk had punched out from Butler. In a determined City attack Hoyle was fouled inside the penalty area, and Dixon, who took the penalty, made sure of it with a Swift low shot to the corner of the net. Rowe scored for the home team in the second half, Tiverton winning by 4 to 1.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>