Match 29
18th January 1936
Third Division
Coventry City v Exeter City

Southern League
Exeter City Reserves v Bath City

Saturday, January 18th 1936.


Although beaten by three clear goals at Coventry today, Exeter City put up a good fight against one of the best teams in the Southern Section. Coventry and the surrounding districts had not recovered from a heavy fall of snow, and the weather this afternoon, although fine, was bitterly cold. Throughout yesterday a large force of workmen were engaged in clearing the playing pitch, which had been liberally covered with peat and sand and was playable. A heap of snow had been shovelled outside the touchlines on both sides of the ground, and the sight of this was reminiscent of that at Leeds when the City were there in a cup replay a few years ago. Harold Webb, formerly of Exeter, was at right back in the home team. Miller lost the toss and Bourton kicked off for Coventry before a crowd of just over ten thousand spectators.

Coventry: - Pearson; Webb, Smith; McCaughey, Mason, Boileau; McNestry, Jones, Bourton, Lake, Liddle.

Exeter:- Kirk; Crompton, Miller; Clarke,
Robinson, Angus Ebdon, T.Scott, McCambridge, Dunn, Hurst.

Coventry won, and deservedly so, but the margin of the victory flattered them. One-nil or two-one would have done justice all round. McNestry gave the Bantams the lead after 33 minutes, and it was not until five minutes from the end that it was added to by Liddle, who shot into an empty net after Bourton had driven the ball against the crossbar. Liddle scored the third goal.

Southern League

Southern League match at St James's Park. Exeter City Reserves were represented by:-
Chesters, Gray, Lowton, S.Haller, Bamsey, Risdon, McArdle, S. Pope, Poulter, McArthur, and V.Hoyle.

Bath City had Windsor, Smith, Maggs, Blake, Green, Miles, Rossiter, Prentice, Weaver, Richards, and Willey.

Exeter established a quick lead. Following pressure by Bath's left wing which ended with Chesters saving from Willey, Exeter attacked on their left and Hoyle crossed nicely to McArdle, who scored. Poulter scored two more goals before half-time. In the second half Smith netted for Bath and McArdle for Exeter.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>