Match 20
27th November 1948
FA Cup 1st Round
Barnet v Exeter City

And in the Southern League
Exeter City Reserves v Hastings United

4th December 1948
FA Cup 1st Round
Barnet v ECFC

Saturday, November 27th 1948.




Exeter City's first round F. A. Cup-tie at Barnet was among the many sporting encounters affected by widespread fog. Visibility less than an hour before the scheduled start was not more than three yards. Selected teams:
BARNET:- F.Stevens; G.Wheeler, E.Hawkins; J.Gerrans, D.Hawkins, L.Hammond; D.Haskow, D.Kelleher, R.W.Phipps, G.Hurst, F.Westley.
CITY: Hoyle; Warren, Rowe; Bartholomew, Walker, Fallon; Dymond, Smart, Smith, Mackay, Regan.

Fifteen minutes before the cup-tie between Barnet and Exeter was due to kick-off the referee decided that play would be impossible. He had no other choice because in the thickening fog the whole of the playing field could not be seen from the touch or goal lines.A crowd of two thousand already at the ground were informed about the postponement. The match will be played next Saturday. This is the third cup-tie which Exeter have been engaged in that has been postponed through fog. The other occasions were at Walthamstow just before the war and at Southampton 24 years ago. It was a disappointing day for the two coach loads of Exeter City's supporters who had left Exeter at midnight and for over 300 others who travelled on the railway excursion.

Southern League 
Ronald Rew, the 24 years old amateur centre-forward from Sea Mills, Bristol, signed professional forms for the City immediately after this Southern League match with Hastings at St James's Park. He had scored Exeter's first goal, one of the finest ever seen at the Park.
Exeter's other scorers were Cumming 2, Hutchings 1, O'Hagan 1.
Team:- Singleton; Johnstone, Powell; Harrower, Davey, Jeffery; Hutchings, Cumming, Rew, Grant, O'Hagan.

Saturday, December 4th 1948.

BARNET 2  (Kelleher, Phipps)

EXETER CITY 6 (Bartholomew, Smith 4, Dymond).

Half-time Barnet 2 City 3.
Attendance 6,000.

No cup-tie could have started on a more sensational note than did the one at Barnet, where Exeter City successfully negotiated their first F. A. Cup hurdle. The City kicked off and the ball was in the Barnet net within ten seconds from a movement, planned and worked out at St James's Park during the week. Smith flicked the ball to Smart, who put Mackay in possession. Mackay dribbled past two or three defenders and finally gave to Bartholomew, who shot low and wide of Stevens. No Barnet player had touched the ball. Their defenders were stricken with momentary paralysis and the home team supporters were just as dumbfounded.
With more steadiness the City could have scored enough goals to have made the game safe in the first 15 minutes. Chance were missed, how ever, and Exeter had to fight desperately to maintain the advantage of that quick goal during the next hour. Credit must be given to Barnet for a magnificent come-back. A number of menacing attacks were delivered against the visiting defence, which was unstable on the left flank. Kelleher equalised, and though Smith put the City ahead again, it was not long before Phipps levelled the scores for the second time. The amateurs continued to hold the balance of the play, but Dymond got Exeter's third goal two minutes before the interval.
Exeter's biggest fright was yet to come. Directly on the restart they were forced to defend desperately as Phipps, Kelleher and Haskow ad vanced in well-planned raids. Three times the amateurs came within an ace of scoring and Hoyle saved at point-blank range from Kelleher and Phipps. Exeter then recovered and took command. Their superior stamina told in the final stages and Smith crowned a good performance with a "hat trick" in the last 20 minutes. There was one change in the advertised team, Evans replacing Fallon at left half.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>