Match 32
26th February 1949
Port Vale v ECFC

And in the Southern League
Exeter City Reserves v Hereford

2nd March 1949
Southern League
Exeter City Reserves v Dartford

Saturday, February 26th 1949.
Port Vale 1 Exeter City 1.

Six players were accidentally injured in the Port Vale v Exeter City match, which fittingly ended in a draw of one goal each. The worst victims were Hutchings, Walker, and Fallon, of the City, and Hayward, the Port Vale centre half, who fell awkwardly and was led from the field suffering from slight concussion.

PORT VALE: Heppell Potts Butler McGarry Hayward Martin Jones Aveyard Allen Polk Hulligan
EXETER CITY: Hoyle Johnstone Clark
Bartholomew Walker Fallon Hutchings Mackay Durrant Harrower Regan.

Walker, his eye blackened and chin badly cut early in the game, had an unlucky afternoon. He presented the Vale with their equalising goal by deflecting a cross-shot from Jones into his own net. Just as the Vale's goal was a gift so was Exeter's. Potts tried to put back to his goalkeeper but his pass lacked the necessary force. Durrant raced ahead, reached the ball first, and tapped it past the
advancing Heppell. Apart from the goals the highlight of the game was a penalty save by Hoyle from Martin in the first half.

  • The referee was Mr B.Griffiths, of Newport, who has been selected to officiate at the international match between England and Scotland at Wembley in April.

Southern League 
City Reserves 2 (Smith, Johnston) Hereford nil.

Southern League 
March 2nd 1949.
Exeter City Reserves v Dartford.

The match between the City Reserves and Dartford which was scheduled originally for November 13th was deferred and the Reserves played a home game with Tonbridge on that date instead. The Dartford match was played off this afternoon, the Reserves winning by the odd goal of five.
CITY: Singleton Warren Rowe Evans Davey Jeffery Cumming Smart Smith Johnston Grant
DARTFORD: Coombs Hutton Stratton Fullbrook Turner Gee Goddard Stephens McCarthy Wetton Osman

Smith was injured a few seconds before the Reserves scored the final goal at St James's Park. A corner was forced on the left and Grant's inswinging flag-kick curled into the goalmouth. The City's centre forward and a defender jumped simultaneously, Smith fell, the ball then went to Cumming who dived forward to head low into the net. Smith was taken off suffering from concussion and had to be taken home by ambulance. Scorers in the first half were Smith and Grant for Exeter Reserves, McCarthy and Davey (own goal) for Dartford.

Result: City 3 Dartford 2,
attendance 2,125, receipts £54. 7s.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>