Match 33
5th March 1949
Walsall (a)

Southern League
Chelmsford (h)

Saturday, March 5th 1949.

Walsall v Exeter City.

Exeter kept an unchanged team for their long journey to Walsall, a useful side on their own ground despite having recently transferred Lishman to the Arsenal. Last season the City were heavily beaten by Walsall in both matches, 4-0 at Walsall and 6-0 at Exeter. This afternoon, three minutes from the end of a remarkable game the sides were on level terms, each with three goals. A drawn contest seemed inevitable until Chapman gained possession from a throw in on the Walsall right, went through on his own and from the penalty area line beat Hoyle all ends up with a shot which crashed into the top of the net. Exeter were thus deprived of a point to which their skill entitled them in one of the best games of the season, played on a pitch covered in snow and frozen in places. Four goals were scored in a hectic spell of eight minutes before the interval. Devlin headed the first from a right-wing centre. Harrower replied with a fast low shot which completely beat Lewis. Chapman restored Walsall's lead and Harrower again placed the City on terms when he crowned a perfect inter-passing movement in which Mackay, Durrant, Bartholomew and himself shared. Nine minutes remained to the interval when Chapman converted a pass from Devlin. Hutchings restored equality after the interval by heading a centre from Regan past Lewis, then came Chapman's deciding goal, this being the second "hat-trick" scored by the Walsall leader in consecutive matches.

Walsall:- Lewis; Jones, Methley; Walters, Foulkes, Newman; Condie, Mullard, Chapman, Devlin, Smith.
City: Hoyle; Johnstone, Clark; Bartholomew, Walker, Fallon; Hutchings, Mackay, Durrant, Harrower, Regan.

Referee:- Mr M.Taylor, of Devizes.

A draw would have been a fairer result of a match which neither team deserved to lose. The City were the superior footballers and passed with greater accuracy but Walsall were a shade more forceful. When the match began the surface was treacherous, and the players slithered in all directions on the slippery ground. After half-time the snow settled in and the field was carpeted to a depth of about three inches. Attendance 6,000.

Southern League
Exeter City Reserves 2
Chelmsford City 2.

This Southern League match might have been a cup-tie, so great was the determination shown by both sides. Chelmsford supplied the classier football but Exeter's enthusiasm has not been surpassed this season.
Plunkett and Foreman scored for the visitors in the first half, and Smith reduced Exeter's deficit two minutes from the interval. Smart after 67 minutes levelled the scores.

City team:- Singleton; Warren, Rowe; Evans, Davey, Coles; Cumming, Smart, Smith, Johnston, Grant.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>