Match 34
12th March 1949
Notts County (h)

Southern League
Colchester United (a)

16th March 1949
Southern League
Colchester United (h)

Saturday, March 12th 1949.

Exeter City v Notts County.

Notts County had to travel to Exeter without their star right-half, E.Gannon, who was transferred overnight to Sheffield Wednesday for a fee reported to be £12,000. The transfer of Gannon was a shock to the County followers, for he was a great favourite with the crowd and almost as popular as Lawton. A year ago over 16,000 soccer enthusiasts from all parts of Devon went to St James's Park to see Notts County and Lawton. They suffered a big disappointment because Lawton was withdrawn from the team at the last moment. This time there was no such occurrence, and the Exeter crowd were at last rewarded with the appearance of the famous English International at St James's Park. The attendance was 14,000.

Johnstone Clark
Bartholomew Walker Fallon
Hutchings Mackay Durrant Harrower Regan
Referee:- Mr L. Brown, of Barnes.
Johnston Evans Lawton Sewell Houghton
Adamson Baxter Pimbley
Purvis Southwell

Tommy Lawton's effortless artistry and accurate passing together with his brilliant headwork and uncanny positioning will remain for a long time a cherished memory in the minds of those who saw the stirring contest between the Grecians and Notts County. There was class in everything Lawton did, but his genius could not transform Notts into a side with the promotion look. Although Lawton played his part and a good deal more the rest of his team mates -languished some way behind.
City Rise to the Occasion.
There has been no greater display of enthusiasm since the war, nor a finer game at St James's Park for several years, than this one. The City played with one hundred percent determination and rose to the occasion in wonderful style. They beat Notts by 3 goals to 1, and the margin did not over-emphasise their superiority. Notts, in fact, with the exception of Lawton, were outplayed. A gratifying feature of the match was the vastly improved form of two of Exeter's younger players, Fallon and Hutchings. Fallon, always a non-stop trier, gave signs of becoming another Reg Clarke, of fond memory among Exeter City followers, and Hutchings, plucky and fast, played his best game since becoming a professional. His goal, by which Exeter regained the lead 12 minutes from the end, was confidently taken. A low shot from an opening created by Durrant sailed into the net with Smith well beaten. Mackay was another shining light in the Exeter attack. Whilst he was a willing helper in defence he also had the energy and skill to start off many of Exeter's most dangerous movements. Next to the incomparable Lawton the Exeter inside right was as good a ball player as any on view.
Regan the Marksman.
As has happened several times, Regan was the opportunist and marksman in chief. His first goal, midway through the opening half, was well conceived. From Durrant's pass Regan brought the ball under instant control and shot, after moving inside the challenging full-back. The next thing Smith knew was that the ball was behind him, nestling in the back of the net. Regan shot Exeter's third goal with almost the last kick of the game, and the only success that Notts could claim was when Clark put the ball through his own goal late in the first half. Any centre-half who faces Lawton has a tough job, and Walker, though beaten in the air more often than not, discharged a big responsibility very well. Hoyle was probably relieved when a couple of Lawton specials whizzed narrowly wide of the posts. The City goalkeeper made one great save from Lawton when he fell full length to a ball that was going away from him and tipped it onto the base of an upright eleven minutes before half-time. Otherwise he had not a lot to do. The match was a feast of entertainment in which Exeter, and Lawton, excelled. Result:- City 3 Notts County 1.

  • Harry Evans, who joined Exeter from Southampton two years ago, has been transferred to Aldershot.

Southern League
Colchester United 4
Exeter City Reserves 2.

Although Exeter Reserves were beaten by the above score, the match could not be called a "walk-over" for the Essex side. There was not a great deal of difference in the standard of the play of the teams although Colchester were better at taking opportunities. The City's goals were scored by Jim Cumming.

Wednesday, March 16th 1949.
Exeter City Reserves
v  Colchester United.

The return Southern League match between the City Reserves and their opponents of last Saturday, Colchester United, took place today at St James's Park. Exeter played Jeffery and Powell in place of Coles and Evans, the last-named having been transferred to Aldershot.

CITY RESERVES: Singleton Warren Rowe Powell Davey Jeffery Cumming Smart Smith Johnston Grant
COLCHESTER: Whitehead Maffey Allen
Bearryman Stamper Nunn Hillman Curry Keeble Cater Foxall

In line for the Southern League championship, Colchester suffered a partial set-back at St James's Park. The visitors dropped a point to Exeter City Reserves and would have been beaten if the home forwards had shown reasonable finishing ability. Both goals were scored in the first half, Hillman's for Colchester being equalised by Archie Smith for Exeter.
Result 1-1.
Attendance 2,314, receipts £76. 17s. Od.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>