Match 41
18th April 1949
ECFC v Millwall

Southern League:-
Yeovil v Exeter City Reserves

Easter Monday, April 18th 1949.

Millwall Beaten at St James's Park.

Exeter City 3 Millwall 0.

In an Easter Monday carnival of sport there was an attendance of ten thousand at the County Ground for the Exeter v Oxford speedway match followed by a Rugby Union match between Exeter and Moseley, but the biggest local crowd of the day assembled at St James's Park, where the "Lions" of Millwall made their first appearance since 1938.

Johnstone Clark
Bartholomew Walker Powell
Hutchings Smart Rew Mackay Regan
Referee:- Mr C.J.Wakeley, of Somerton.

Linesmen:- Messrs G.W.Stevenson and W.H.Davey.

Mansfield Short Constantine Hurrell Sutcliffe
Bradley Morton Reeves
Tyler Fisher


Watched by Plymouth Argyle's manager, Mr James Rae (whose interest was said to be in Harry Bartholomew, the City captain), Exeter City triumphed over Millwall at St James's Park on Monday before a crowd of 10,920, when the City forwards gained the reward for their energy and enthusiasm. Leading the home attack Rew had a mixture of good and bad fortune in his league debut. He scored the City's third goal midway through the first half when he dispossessed Reeves, bustled past the challenging Tyler, and beat the advancing goalkeeper to shoot low into the net. A few minutes later Rew darted forward in an attempt to meet a centre from the right but did not connect, and landed in the back of the net after colliding with a defender. With his left eyelid badly cut, he was taken off the field and two stitches were inserted. Rew took no further part in the game and the City suffered a further blow when Regan went off with a pulled thigh muscle five minutes from the end. The depleted Exeter side easily held Millwall's attack which suffered because they kept the ball too close. Clark with a penalty kick and Smart scored Exeter's first two goals.

Southern League:-
Yeovil 2 City Reserves 1 (Cumming).


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>