Match 08
17th September 1949
ECFC v Aldershot

Southern League 17th September 1949
Guildford v Exeter City Reserves

Friendly 19th September 1949
Exmouth & District X1 v Exeter City

Southern League 21st September 1949
Weymouth v Exeter City Reserves

September 17th 1949. 

EXETER CITY (Hutchings) 1  


Half-time City 1 Aldershot 0.
Attendance 11,000.

City: Singleton; Johnstone, Rowe; Powell, Davey, Greenwood; Hutchings, Harrower, McClelland, Mackay, Regan.
Aldershot:- Reynolds; Rogers, Jales; Laird, Billington, Stansbridge; Hobbs, McNicol, White, Daniel, Steen.

Exeter City were slightly superior and more dangerous in the first half but fell away afterwards. They owed much to a steady defence which kept the opposition from scoring for the first time this season. The only goal, nine minutes after the start, was the outcome of a well-directed centre by Mackay to Hutchings, whose header had the goalkeeper beaten all the way.

17th September 1949
Southern League 
Guildford v Exeter City Reserves 

Guildford won their Southern League match against the City Reserves by 3 goals (Robson, Gleeson 2) to 1 (Smart). Exeter were handicapped by an early injury to Mitchell, who became a passenger on the wing. City team:- Hoyle; Doyle, Clark; Walker, Carter, Squires; Mitchell, Rew, Smart, Roy, Smith.


Monday, September 19th 1949.
(Venus, Richards) 
(McClelland 2, Roy, Greenwood) 

Half-time Exmouth 1 Exeter City 2.
Attendance 1,500.

Exmouth:- G.Lear; L.Sturman, E.Pyle; L.Goss, S.Mellish, J.Angus; C.Marshman, Corfield, Venus, N.Richards, K.Courtney. City:- Singleton; Johnstone, Rowe; Harrower, Powell, Greenwood; Hutchings, Roy, McClelland, Mackay, Regan.

If the Devon County selectors can find a better goalkeeper than the Exmouth custodian, Geoffrey Lear, they are lucky. This young 'keeper made a brilliant penalty save (from Powell) and many more clearances of a capable nature for an Exmouth and District XI against the City's full first-team on the Maer sports ground on Monday evening. It was due to Lear's exceptionally good display that Exeter's margin of victory was confined to two goals. His judgment was good, and his handling of the ball could not be faulted. It took the City 30 minutes to break down the resistance of Lear and his colleagues. Then McClelland and Roy scored in rapid succession. Venus then beat Singleton with a header from Corfield's centre. The second half was a story of sustained Exeter pressure. McClelland increased the City's lead, then came the penalty save by Lear, and a goal for Exmouth scored by Richards from a breakaway. Greenwood from a penalty kick got the last goal for Exeter. The Exmouth team, which was complimented by Mr George Roughton for a plucky display, contained two of the City's old stars, Jack Angus and Kenneth Courtney.

Southern League
Wednesday, September 21st 1949. Weymouth 1 City Reserves 0.

Drenching rain ruined the gate and spoiled the game at Weymouth and a scrappy and goalless first half ended with the players soaked to their skins. Haynes in the second half scored for Weymouth, after Hoyle had stopped a penalty kick taken by Marsden.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>